Menu

Reading in the WTM (the book)

I have a couple questions about Reading in the Logic Stage.

From the section found on pages 343-347:

During structured reading time: Do you narrate every day and write a narration and then also write a summary at the completion of the book?

Or do you just read the book and then write the 1/2 page to 1 page summary at the end of the book?

Are the questions for discussion for every day- or just for once the entire book has been read and before the final summary is written?

Thank you very much!

Rebecca

I have a couple questions about Reading in the Logic Stage.

From the section found on pages 343-347:

During structured reading time: Do you narrate every day and write a narration and then also write a summary at the completion of the book?

Or do you just read the book and then write the 1/2 page to 1 page summary at the end of the book?

Are the questions for discussion for every day- or just for once the entire book has been read and before the final summary is written?

Thank you very much!

Rebecca

I can't remember, but I try and get my kids to give me an oral narration most days about what they are reading independently. Sometimes over the years it has been more detailed and formal, sometimes just an informal "how's that book going? "

We tend to do more structured writing and discussion at the end of a book (not every book though).

When I read aloud (which I still do in the logic stage for some books) we tend to discuss as we go. We also do brief narrations of yesterday's reading before we start today's, to jog our memories.

I think its the sort of thing you find your own way with over time. I dont like to let discussion or analysis or narrations of readings swamp the love of reading or become too tedious, so I pick and choose when and what to focus on for periods of time.

I can't remember, but I try and get my kids to give me an oral narration most days about what they are reading independently. Sometimes over the years it has been more detailed and formal, sometimes just an informal "how's that book going? "

We tend to do more structured writing and discussion at the end of a book (not every book though).

When I read aloud (which I still do in the logic stage for some books) we tend to discuss as we go. We also do brief narrations of yesterday's reading before we start today's, to jog our memories.

I think its the sort of thing you find your own way with over time. I dont like to let discussion or analysis or narrations of readings swamp the love of reading or become too tedious, so I pick and choose when and what to focus on for periods of time.

I agree and would add that it also depends upon the child and the book. For most books, I like to have narrations every chapter or so to make sure we are getting the points. For my chatty daughter, the part we work on is keeping it pithy - just the main points. This was never a problem with my guys.;)

However, there are some books my dcs loved and just couldn't put down. I didn't want to spoil it by making them stop and narrate so I just let them keep reading. My heart is all a flutter when they get lost in a book and I will do nothing to stop that!!

All this to say, just follow your gut. Some books need more details explained and explored. Others just need to be enjoyed and talked about later. I think you should just follow their lead and you will be OK. Oh, I tend to do less assignments with the books they truly love because I want them to find joy in reading. But, that's just me. Others will probably do things differently:001_huh:

Thank you!

I have to look- but I think there is a general guideline for how many entries in the Reading Notebook per week.

Just was trying to figure out if there should be a daily written narration and an end of the book summary.

But- from what you have written- it seems that this is not necessary for every book in the "structured" reading category.

I have been doing a type of "narration" notebook with my logic age child- where he reads and every few days- does an entry into the notebook.

But I am struggling a little with giving him the direction he needs to properly write the narration.

Rebecca