Menu

I've been using Sequential Spelling and...

motherdear

well we haven't been using it that long but I know before we started I tested my girls to see if they could spell the word beginning. Noe of them could. After about a week I tested them again and they all spelled it correctly. Can't tell you much more than that.

We've used through lesson 40 of the first book. Her spelling is improving. I would like the rules for her to see, so I found them with Spell to Read and Write and am planning to purchase them. Hopefully it will help.

Well, a couple of questions. How old is your dc using SS? How long have you been using it? Are you reinforcing with teaching spelling rules?

I've used SS with my ds11 for a year and 3/4 and he has definitely improved in his spelling. I have found that time + consistent spelling practice + learning the basic rules + lots and lots of outside reading will lead to a better speller. This, at least, has been our experience with 2 "unnatural" spellers so far (with no underlying LDs).

Lisa

I don't know if I REALLY believe its helping. What's your experience?

In our case, it confused my son rather than helped him (words he started off the year being able to spell, he could no longer spell after 40 or so lessons in SS). In our case, the discovery oriented approach of SS was not a fit--what my son wanted and needed were the rules our language follows, and not just the patterns.

I don't know how long you've been using SS, but it could also be that you haven't used it long enough. If you are expecting to see changes in your child's writing, there can be lots of reasons why you are not seeing changes--age can be one reason. Another could be that your child needs more time and instruction in editing. Here's an article on how to help kids translate their spelling skills into their writing. So, that might be something to keep in mind. One of my favorite articles on what to expect from a child's writing is the Unscope & Sequence from the Bravewriter site.

We ended up with All About Spelling, which does go over all of the rules, and presents things incrementally, and is also multi-sensory. It's based on Orton Gillingham. I noticed a difference right away in that they were understanding and enjoying spelling, and starting to notice things outside of spelling. I noticed a difference in their reading in about 4 months, and in their test scores the following year. But while there were small differences in their writing, I would say the biggest differences started showing up after more than a year of using it for my jr. higher, and after nearly two years for my 5th grader. Anyway, hope you find some things that will help you & your child.

Merry :-)

I've used it most of this school year with my 4th grade, mildly dyslexic son. It has definitely helped him. He understands patterns of spelling much better than he did at the beginning of the year, for example, realizing that you drop the "e" when adding "ing" to a word that ends in silent e. He's also learned to spell the non-phonetic words that are continuously reviewed in that book (doesn't, wouldn't, shouldn't, etc.).

It has not turned him into an excellent speller, but it has greatly increased the number of words he can spell, by way of understanding the pattern. I plan to continue to use SS indefinitely.