Menu

Rod & Staff math - TG necessary? (x-post)

I've been using CLE 1 with ds6, but it moves too quickly for him and I am wondering if R&S might be good for him. I'd like to try the 2nd half of the first grade math, just to make sure he has his bases covered before moving into the 2nd grade book. However, I hate to spend the extra $15 on the teacher's guide if it isn't needed. Has anyone used this program, who can advise me on whether I should just buy it or can do without?

I'm also wondering whether anyone has found R&S math helpful for a visual learner who takes a while to grasp new concepts; he was a preemie who has some aspie-like traits and auditory processing issues, but too subtle for dx at this point.

Thank you;

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-19, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

Hi Aimee,

I didn't address your question about visual learners, etc. My dd has lots of math woes and did great with R&S till she hit multiplication. Then she got stumped again and couldn't get the concept. I am unsure what to try with her. My one suggestion was that I just searched for "math" in the special needs forum, sorting the search by # of replies. The recommendations there helped a bit. We've tried MUS but mine couldn't grasp the concept of the 1 long block equaling 10 little blocks. I may try to slowly work with Rightstart bc/ it is so hands on and visual. We'll see!

That's wonderful to here you have 3 from Korea. I wish I could get a girl! I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with my 4 on many days though, since one has special needs and the 4th is a bit challenging. So I am not sure #5 will happen!