Menu

Writing, Grammar and Science OH MY!!!! Help me choose.

emelsha

Okay, I need some advise here. I am struggling between choosing a science, Writing, and a Grammar curriculum for my daughter going into second grade next year. I thought I had it figured out but...

Science: Noeo Science or Considering God's Creation

Grammar: Shurley Grammar or FLL

Writing: IEW or ????

If you could please help me out. Which one do you recommend and why. If you have another suggestion, I am open to it. Thanks. :bigear:

Science

My favorite is the Apologia series. The simplest book is Astronomy and they have free notebooking primary pages for second grade.

Grammar FLL

Writing SWB's new book coming out this summer. I love IEW but I don't do that until late elementary/middle school.

With a second grader the writing in FLL can be enough if you are doing notebooking/narration with history and science.

I second Apologia Science. We've loved it over here,and my dc have learned so much. For grammar I used R&S 2 with ETC for phonics. I also do WT 1 with my 2nd and 3rd grader. We take it slowly,and I downscale the writing a bit for the 2nd grader b/c she gets overwhelmed easily. I've loved WT and my dc love the stories.

Science:

Noeo Science*** I never used this, but always thought it looked good. I have heard people say it is boring.

Considering God's Creation*** Make sure your child is ready for this curriculum. I think it is better suited for 3rd grade and up since it requires a lot of fine motor work. It also introduces some pretty big words and concepts.

I am planning on using Nature Study and library books / videos. If you want a curriculum, I might suggest Living Learning Books. I heard Chemistry is the best one but that may be too advanced. I would probably just go with the Apologia Zoology books.

Grammar:

Shurley Grammar*** Never used this, but would not consider it for a 2nd grader.

FLL*** Yes this is what I would use.

Writing: I don't think anything other than copywork is necessary at this age. Why give them something they are not ready for? Wait until the brain has mastered reading to introduce writing. If I did any type of writing other than copywork, it would be storystarted. I would get a book from Evan Moor and use that.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

Michelle

As far as grammar goes I'd go with FLL. My dd loves it and we're on lesson#165. She likes to run around the house and chant the definitions or lists and she has a great time.(we're on on the list of prepositions)

Science- I'd go with something simple-either WTM rec's or something that they're interested in. I'm slowly learning that it's okay to wait to do things:)

Writing- I'd get the new Writing with Ease. I've basically done copywork and dictation ala wtm and it seems to work. Dd also does creative story writing every once in a while, but I don't actually teach it as a skill. I'm trying really hard to wait and do it when she can really benefit from the instruction.

Science:

Noeo Science*** I never used this, but always thought it looked good. I have heard people say it is boring.

I will say that Noeo is not right for everyone, but I wouldn't say it's "boring". It has some hands-on but not enough for dc who want experiments every day. The books are wonderful and it is very well-suited for CM families who love reading good books together. If you want a lot of output from your dc in the form of worksheets, quizzes, projects, etc., this won't be a good fit. Notebook pages are suggested almost daily, but we tend to just read the books and do experiments. The pace can be a bit slow but it is easy to accelerate it. I think it is very well suited to grades 1-3. We have used Bio 1, are doing Chem 1, and will do Physics 1 next year. Not sure where we'll go after that.

If you want to build a home library, don't want to do a lot of planning, love learning from books, and can fit it in your home school budget, you might like Noeo. Oh and we also used Apologia Astronomy and enjoyed that too. That's definitely a cheaper option.

Okay, I need some advise here. I am struggling between choosing a science, Writing, and a Grammar curriculum for my daughter going into second grade next year. I thought I had it figured out but...

Science: Noeo Science or Considering God's Creation

Grammar: Shurley Grammar or FLL

Writing: IEW or ????

If you could please help me out. Which one do you recommend and why. If you have another suggestion, I am open to it. Thanks. :bigear:

I really like the Elementary Apologia series for science. The astronomy book would be the best one to do for a 2nd grader.

In 2nd grade, I use FLL followed by Rod & Staff grammar 3 in 3rd grade.

I don't use a formal writing program in 2nd grade; for this grade I do copywork and dictation. In 3rd grade, I start the Classical Writing series.

HTH!