Menu

Need advice on credit for summer English class

My 11th grade ds has been enrolled in Running Start this year and for various reasons didn't take any English. I have enrolled him in a 5-week online summer Shakespeare course and I'm wondering how much credit to give on his transcript. They will read 5 complete plays (Hamlet, Taming of the Shrew, Merchant of Venice, and 2 others). There will be some writing each week but not a huge amount. At first I was thinking he'd get 1/2 of a year-long English credit but now I'm wondering if 5 plays isn't almost enough for a full credit. It's not as much as we would normally do in a year-long class but then we usually tend to do way more than the "minimum." :001_smile: What would you add to make it worth a full credit?

Is it considered a semester of college credit? If yes, it's equal to 1 hs credit. I took a year of German (30 weeks) in a 10 week summer intensive when I was in college. Don't short your ds on credit just because it will be done in a shorter period of time.

:seeya: (Waving hello not goodbye!)

Good to see you here Maverick. Hope your year has been great!

What about tracking the number of hours and then adding what's left to make a full credit (assuming he needs a full English credit this year). I would add in what you think he needs to work on: SAT grammar study, writing/lit analysis essays, or other. If the online class doesn't include it, you could always add in DVDs of the plays he'll be studying.

HTH,

Lisa

My 11th grade ds has been enrolled in Running Start this year and for various reasons didn't take any English. I have enrolled him in a 5-week online summer Shakespeare course and I'm wondering how much credit to give on his transcript. They will read 5 complete plays (Hamlet, Taming of the Shrew, Merchant of Venice, and 2 others). There will be some writing each week but not a huge amount. At first I was thinking he'd get 1/2 of a year-long English credit but now I'm wondering if 5 plays isn't almost enough for a full credit. It's not as much as we would normally do in a year-long class but then we usually tend to do way more than the "minimum." :001_smile: What would you add to make it worth a full credit?

As is the course sounds like it would be worth only 0.5 credit. To make it a full credit course, I would add the viewing of the plays (either live if possible or DVD), plus more writing. Maybe theatre critiques, compare/contrast, literary analysis, character analysis, etc. Like Chris stated, I would also add additional books probably set in the same time period with writing for each of those as well.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've missed hanging out here with all the wonderful, knowledgeable and dedicated homeschooling parents! (Hi, Lisa :seeya:) I was going to have him watch at least some of the plays on DVD, and possibly listen to some TC lectures, but I definitely don't want to add any more books. I think we'll just keep it at a 1/2 credit.