Menu

Cursive program help?

truebluexf

Hi! I plan to teach cursive to my older two next year, 6 and 8 yrs old. I have a wiggly rushing boy and a little girl who already writes neater than he does though she is still 5 lol. I' prefer something with a workbook so I don't have to copy paper, make up worksheets, etc. I'd like it to be open and go like HWT, but I'd prefer triple line paper. Is Cursive First like this? Would Abeka be better? Others? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

Hi! I plan to teach cursive to my older two next year, 6 and 8 yrs old. I have a wiggly rushing boy and a little girl who already writes neater than he does though she is still 5 lol. I' prefer something with a workbook so I don't have to copy paper, make up worksheets, etc. I'd like it to be open and go like HWT, but I'd prefer triple line paper. Is Cursive First like this? Would Abeka be better? Others? I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

I picked up two of these workbooks at Barnes & Noble for my ds9 & ds7 last year. They worked just fine, and they were simple and easy to use (and cheap!).

We're using Cheerful Cursive next year. It is triple lined and open and go. It also works with them on reading cursive which I think is great! The only downside is that it's a bit pricey...$15 or so. I was looking into a cheaper workbook, but after seeing it in person I'm glad I spent a bit more.

I've used Pentime with my 3rd and 1st graders this year. I bought it from Rainbow Resource and it's very inexpensive...around $5.00/book. I'll try to link:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/search.php?sid=1273713163-1204733

They both started in book 2 Transition this year. They love it. It's very basic which is just what I wanted. I will add that doing cursive has completely revolutionized my 9 year old son's writing and attitude about it! It has been the greatest joy of school this year for me...that sounds kind of sad now that it's typed out!!! But, he has always detested writing and has (and still does) really struggled with manuscript, but his cursive is completely gorgeous! Seriously, I sometimes just look back over his work in awe. Sometimes I can hardly tell a difference between his work and the book's example!

Now...I'm not sure that I attribute all of that to Pentime, but it's simplicity has certainly not been a hindrance and I think it's actually helped b/c it doesn't drag on. Whew! Way more than I meant to write! Sorry about that!

Have a great day!

Katie

ds 9, dd 6 1/2, ds 5, dd 2 1/2