Menu

Fine Arts

KrissiK

OK, I just need to know, those of you who do art and music with their kids in any form - do you have a curriculum or do you just wing it? I, like many of you, agonize over curriculum. My problem is - $$ is tight and I hate spending it on something I really won't use. I'm looking at Harmony Fine Arts because I have a lot of the music CDs and stuff at home and it's not an expensive curriculum, really, but... those $20 add up. I'm the type, though, who needs things planned out and I could probably plan something out, but I just don't feel like it. Any thoughts out there? Anyone use Harmony and like it? Hate it? Think to yourself.... "Well, I could have done this myself!"

Beautiful Feet has a lit guide for History of Classical Music. I purchased the cds used so I'm not sure the expense of it new. We liked this. It was a great overview of classical music

I like Handle on the Arts, but have not purchased it. It is one of those "if I have extra left, I'll buy it". In other words, I've never bought it.:glare:

Artistic Pursuits has been a great art study for us this year. It was not expensive and I had many of the supplies already. It does include art appreciation and a bio about the artists.

Honestly, I've made it a practice to purchase art books when I find them on the bargain bin table at either of our local bookstores. My dc will just pull out a book and start going through it. We discuss what is in the painting, looking for cats or birds or some such; the mood and feel of the painting; and the way the artist uses light, color, etc to express him/herself.

Guest Cindie2dds

Well, we use Ambleside Online's artist and composer studies. There are links to music files and artist's work on the computer so you don't have to buy anything. For Term 1 in the fall, they are using Durer and Beethoven respectively.

OK, I'm looking at Harmony Fine Arts because I have a lot of the music CDs and stuff at home and it's not an expensive curriculum, really, but... those $20 add up. I'm the type, though, who needs things planned out and I could probably plan something out, but I just don't feel like it. Any thoughts out there? Anyone use Harmony and like it? Hate it? Think to yourself.... "Well, I could have done this myself!"

We use Harmony Fine Arts and we like it. Barb has done a fantastic job with this program. It's very simple and easy to use. I looked at the art books at the library first before buying. Some things I used from the library and some I purchased. I have cut up old calendars for the artist study or just put a picture on my computer as a screen saver.