Menu

So funny I nearly hyperventilated...

Love that video! Dh showed it to me earlier this week.

I'd like to gently remind everyone to play nice in the sandbox. Some of these comments are a little much. I understand that this style of worship isn't for everyone (especially people who are rooted in the christian community and want church to always look like what they grew up with). The truth is, whatever church you attend was the new flavor at some point. Just as Paul stood on Mars Hill and engaged with the culture around him on their terms, this new generation of churches is engaging with the current culture. The American church is becoming increasingly obsolete and this new generation of pastors and church planters are desperate to reach people. What this does NOT equal is a watering down of the scripture. My dh is a pastor who has a forearm tattoo (lol!!) and wears jeans and t-shirts on stage. He is also a pastor who just spent 3 weeks teaching on the cannon and the inerrancy of scripture. So, I'm totally ok if this type of church is outside of your preference, just try to be respectful when expressing that. Thanks!

ETA: Ok, so the line that prompted this was "makes my skin crawl," but after rereading the post, I think I understand what Mamasheep was trying to say. At first read I took it differently. Sorry for the rabbit trail!

Shannon, I am truly sorry that I gave offense and I appreciate your kindness in rereading my post. I really did mean to say that we should be respectful and not mock other people's style of worship, even if we, personally, find it distasteful. I don't like this style of worship. I have fairly strong objections to it, in fact. But I don't want it to be made fun of either, I don't think that's right or good. I'm glad to know that was not the intent of this video.

For the record, my objections to this style of worship really aren't based in how long it's been around or how much or little it resembles what I'm used to, but I don't really want to get into all that here and I kind of think you don't want to either. I am glad to hear that your dh takes his job as pastor seriously and doesn't water down scripture. And I'm glad we agree that we should be respectful when discussing others' worship styles and choices. I will try to choose my wording more carefully in the future.

Edited by MamaSheep

This is mostly our church as well, with a few exceptions. We don't take an offering, but have offering boxes in the back. In the 8 or so years we've been going there, I think tithing has only been mentioned a few times. Our pastor speaks effectively but doesn't whisper and shout and pause like they are saying. I really like his teaching style.