Menu

Anyone use Word Roots Software?

Considering buying this for dd who will be in 7th next year.

We tried just learning about some of the greek/latin roots last year and it went over like a lead balloon. It was all "this is dumb." "what does a foreign language have to do with anything? I speak English." blah blah blah.....

As a matter of fact, just recalling the three or four lessons we tried together makes my heart rate go up. IF she would just come to it with an open mind she probably would understand that knowing the word parts allows her to expand her vocabulary more than just memorizing words does.

Anyway, has anyone used it? What are your thoughts on it? Was is a successful venture?

Yep, my now 14 yo used Critical Thinking's Word Roots A1, A2, and B1, and my 11 yo is working through them now.

I had originally looked at the books, but am glad we went with the software; it's much easier to use, and, imo, is more effective in reinforcing the material.

I've been very happy with it.

Yep, my now 14 yo used Critical Thinking's Word Roots A1, A2, and B1, and my 11 yo is working through them now.

I had originally looked at the books, but am glad we went with the software; it's much easier to use, and, imo, is more effective in reinforcing the material.

I've been very happy with it.

Just curious because I was planning on purchasing the books. How do you feel it's more effective in reinforcing the material than the book?

Maybe I'll get the software instead.......Thanks!

Just curious because I was planning on purchasing the books. How do you feel it's more effective in reinforcing the material than the book?

Maybe I'll get the software instead.......Thanks!

The software is self-tutoring and self-grading. Kids are actually able to see their progress as they correctly finish the activities---they watch the buildings go up as they work their way through the exercises. There is no moving on until everything is correct.

For my kids, it was (is) very helpful and motivating to watch their progression through the program.

Plus, there is an option to play without the auto-grading turned on for extra practice with the roots.