Menu

Good multi-age science for co-op?

robsiew

Anybody have some good ideas for a science curriculum that could be used easily in a co-op? We're looking at 3 different grade groups... K-1, 2-3 and 4-6th grade. We considered Noeo, but have discounted it for a few reasons so other suggestions would be welcome. Something not overly expensive and with more experiments than reading is what we are looking for. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and this is a Christian group so faith based program suggestions are welcome!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I taught science for my co-op for 2 years. I just came up with my own plan. I did Chemistry one year, bought some cheap experiments from Steve Spangler. Last year I did Dissection, but that was for older kids. One year we spent the entire 10 weeks on Volcanoes. Each child made a paper mache volcano and then the last week we took them outside to explode.

You could look at Steve Spangler and buy all one type of experiments. They have some fun ones on color.

I have run a co-op for the last 5 years, and we have used or considered every program suggested on this thread. They are all great options, and can all be used successfully. I would like to share a few things I learned. The success of the class does not hinge on the program; it hinges on the the teacher, students, and parents... AND the communication between all three.

Make the goals for your science classes VERY clear. Are these classes the basis for everyone's science program for the year, or are they just extra? Are the parents required to read something aloud at home? Are the students required to read at home? Will there be homework? Will the students be unprepared if they don't do the required reading? Will there be consequences if work is not done? Is everyone required to read from the same books? If there is homework, how will the parents know what it is? How will someone know what to do if they miss class?

I'm raising all of these questions, because we've had years that were rough because these things weren't made clear to everyone ahead of time. We've been most successful when the younger kid's classes were geared around hands-on activities and any extra outside work was optional. Science is important and fun, but it's a subject that can be put on the back burner when an elementary child is struggling with basic skills. Having a class that requires outside work can be a real stress to a homeschool mom who thought co-op was going to relieve her burden. We have successfully required more from our older elementary classes, but have found that a good syllabus is essential to keep parents informed.

I have run a co-op for the last 5 years, and we have used or considered every program suggested on this thread. They are all great options, and can all be used successfully. I would like to share a few things I learned. The success of the class does not hinge on the program; it hinges on the the teacher, students, and parents... AND the communication between all three.

Make the goals for your science classes VERY clear. Are these classes the basis for everyone's science program for the year, or are they just extra? Are the parents required to read something aloud at home? Are the students required to read at home? Will there be homework? Will the students be unprepared if they don't do the required reading? Will there be consequences if work is not done? Is everyone required to read from the same books? If there is homework, how will the parents know what it is? How will someone know what to do if they miss class?

I'm raising all of these questions, because we've had years that were rough because these things weren't made clear to everyone ahead of time. We've been most successful when the younger kid's classes were geared around hands-on activities and any extra outside work was optional. Science is important and fun, but it's a subject that can be put on the back burner when an elementary child is struggling with basic skills. Having a class that requires outside work can be a real stress to a homeschool mom who thought co-op was going to relieve her burden. We have successfully required more from our older elementary classes, but have found that a good syllabus is essential to keep parents informed.

Leanna,

Thank you for this advice! Very good things to keep in mind! I appreciate your willingness to share your experience! :D