Menu

Does anyone here have a child doing HOD's Bigger independently?

I'm starting to change my tune--- I don't think I want to keep my children combined. It's just so chaotic trying to do lots of read alouds with all the commotion around here! My oldest (almost 3rd grade) is such a good reader and a hard worker; she can definitely handle more independent work. So, I was thinking that instead of reading all of her history and science aloud to her still, I should let her read those herself. I have gotten some inspiration from the Robinson Curriculum, but I'm not ready to go that extreme! Anyway, I've asked this on the HOD boards, but haven't gotten much response, except from people who said that their child wouldn't be able to handle Bigger independently. Does anyone here use this program with a 3rd grader, and let them do all the reading themselves? My dd has already read a section from one of the Eggleston books to me, so I know she can handle the reading. I'm still trying to figure out if I'll be able to hand her the guide and let her figure out the instructions for the timeline, notebooking, etc. Since we don't follow the program 100%, I would probably actually type up lesson plans for her each week.

So, does this sound like a good idea, or should I change plans and use something that is designed for the student to work more independently? BTW, we already own everything we need for Bigger; that's why I'm trying to see if it will work for us still, given my desire to change things around here a bit! :)

I think you should just try it out and see how it goes. I have gotten a lot of inspiration from the Robinson Curriculum, as well. But, like you, wasn't ready to go that extreme. Your dd may need a little hand holding at first, but I bet she'll catch on quickly. Here is part of a post Carrie wrote a little over a year ago about independence with Bigger.

When we did Bigger Hearts with our son, we looked at it as a year of training him to read from the guide and to do his own readings. This really helped my son be quite independent and was excellent preparation for learning how to follow written directions!

I had him do his own history readings and science readings (because CM says that a child of 9 who is able to read his/her own books should) and mine could. I had him get me when he was done reading and we did the follow-up activity together. However, before coming to get me, he was responsible for reading the directions for the activity (in the bottom left box) and getting everything ready for me as best as possible so that when I arrived, we were ready to go! He did his timeline, art, notebooking, and vocabulary (eventually) on his own, reading right from the guide. I just checked them when he was done. He practiced his Bible verse on his own and did his Bible verse copywork on his own. He also read over any questions in the Bible study box, and thought about the answers prior to me coming to discuss with him. Then, we did the Bible Study discussion. We listened to the hymns at lunch with all of the kiddos and me singing along.

My son did Cheerful Cursive on his own, following the schedule in the guide. He often read over his English 2 lesson and was started on it by the time I joined him. We always did at least half together though, to make sure that he got it. He always began his math on his own and I would go over the textbook lesson with him after he'd looked it over.

Hope this helps!:001_smile:

I think you should just try it out and see how it goes. I have gotten a lot of inspiration from the Robinson Curriculum, as well. But, like you, wasn't ready to go that extreme. Your dd may need a little hand holding at first, but I bet she'll catch on quickly. Here is part of a post Carrie wrote a little over a year ago about independence with Bigger.

When we did Bigger Hearts with our son, we looked at it as a year of training him to read from the guide and to do his own readings. This really helped my son be quite independent and was excellent preparation for learning how to follow written directions!

I had him do his own history readings and science readings (because CM says that a child of 9 who is able to read his/her own books should) and mine could. I had him get me when he was done reading and we did the follow-up activity together. However, before coming to get me, he was responsible for reading the directions for the activity (in the bottom left box) and getting everything ready for me as best as possible so that when I arrived, we were ready to go! He did his timeline, art, notebooking, and vocabulary (eventually) on his own, reading right from the guide. I just checked them when he was done. He practiced his Bible verse on his own and did his Bible verse copywork on his own. He also read over any questions in the Bible study box, and thought about the answers prior to me coming to discuss with him. Then, we did the Bible Study discussion. We listened to the hymns at lunch with all of the kiddos and me singing along.

My son did Cheerful Cursive on his own, following the schedule in the guide. He often read over his English 2 lesson and was started on it by the time I joined him. We always did at least half together though, to make sure that he got it. He always began his math on his own and I would go over the textbook lesson with him after he'd looked it over.

Hope this helps!:001_smile:

:iagree:

...but with slight deviation. We did two HOD programs this year.

I am doing Beyond with my ds while my 10yodd is just finishing up Bigger w/extensions. She's been completely self-directed all year, with Bible being the exception. I intended for her to read all her books independently (including Storytime), which she could have done effortlessly. However, it didn't take long to realize that it wasn't best. There is something powerful in sharing a good book together. It draws us together in the best of ways, not unlike a good family meal taken together. My advice is that even if you can't read ALL the Storytimes aloud...read as many as you can manage. It's worth it. I read a few privately with each child alone, but several times, I chose just one book (for ST) from either Beyond or Bigger and combined them for the read aloud. Sometimes, the better choice isn't about efficiency or ability. :001_smile: Give yourself grace, but try not to sacrifice the good stuff entirely.

Geo

P.S. Mr. Robinson HAD to do what he did because his wife died.

Edited by Geo

Deena-

I am jumping in here- but I noticed that you are teaching Preparing and CTC with two different children.

Has that been smooth for you?

I am curious...

Thanks!

Rebecca

I tried to combine my two older dc in Bigger earlier this year and it was a total bust! My dd was ready for more independence, but ds wasn't. I was finding that ds was getting discouraged when he saw dd working faster than him. On the other end, he was holding her up. We eventually ended up ditching it, and I had dd read through the history books herself while ds read through an easier Am. Hist. book. We have only done about 4 units in CTC and Preparing, but I can honestly tell you that it is already going so much better than trying to combine. My dc needed their own program at their own level. It's funny, but I actually feel less overwhelmed using two programs than I did trying to combine two different level children in one. :tongue_smilie: My dd is thriving with the independence and loves the bit of together time we get in CTC. I now have the time to spend seperately with ds. He can work at his pace without comparing himself to dd. He is also doing great with his independent work. It's a little time consuming for him now, but I'm guessing he will grow into it and will become more efficient as the year progresses. Having them at their own level in their own program has also freed me and enabled me to work with my younger dd's. :001_smile:

Edited by momofabcd

:iagree:

I intended for her to read all her books independently (including Storytime), which she could have done effortlessly. However, it didn't take long to realize that it wasn't best. There is something powerful in sharing a good book together. It draws us together in the best of ways, not unlike a good family meal taken together. My advice is that even if you can't read ALL the Storytimes aloud...read as many as you can manage. It's worth it. .

:iagree: 100%

I think that if your daughter is a strong in reading (and reading comprehension) that Bigger shouldn't be to hard for her to do independently. My dd who is in 4th grade this year is doing Bigger independently w/o the extensions and is handling it very nicely. I do read aloud her story time, but you can also combine story time with your other children as well.

From experience, I wouldn't just hand your dd the book and let her figure out the directions, not because of ability, but because of the need for accountability, to make sure it is getting done and that she is understanding what she is learning (I have my dd narrate what she has read about), it only takes a few minutes. Also if I make changes, I find it easier to just pencil it in the guide rather than type up new lesson plans. Hope this helps.

Edited by kayinpa