Menu

Please rate my 7th grade plan...

vlshort

Here's what I'm planning for my 7th grade ds. Please rate by individual subjects, or my overall plan - easy, moderate, rigorous? Reasonable or unreasonable. Do-able or not do-able.

TIA!

-vanessa

MUS Pre-algebra

CW Aesop/Homer for Older Beginners and Poetry for Older Beginners

Analytical Grammar (we'll do over summer, and just do review sheets during school year - or maybe we won't need to do the review sheets with CW)

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A and B

Tapestry of Grace Year 3- we'll do history and geography in a co-op. I'd like to do occasional writing assignments as more of a history reinforcement.

Rainbow Science Year One (twice a week)

BF History of Science (once a week over two years)

Thinking Toolbox with co-op

Artistic Pursuits Jr. High Book One with co-op

I wish I could rate your subjects for you but I have no familiarity with any of them. However, your plan looks doable. I wouldn't feel obligated to do two vocabulary books next year, though. I also would not feel married to the History of Science if things get to be too much.

Your plan looks organized and certainly doable. Good job on that.

My only thought: VFCR is a TOUGH book, we found. I would be happy to get just "A" completed. Definitely take your time with this one -- there is alot there -- it is not like Wordly Wise where a child can do a lesson in a day or two.

Just my .02

I loved AESOP from CW -- did not love HOMER -- but I do like CW so enjoy!

My 7th grade dd will be doing:

Scripture memorization

Leadership training

Literature

Spelling and grammar review as needed

MUS pre Algebra

Introductory Logic

2 history unit studies (Religions of the World and Golden Age of Ancient Civilizations)

Intro to chemistry and organic chemistry

Music lessons and appreciation

Art lessons and appreciation

Health and Physical Education

This will take around 4 and a half hours to 5 hours a day for us. I know of others who are more rigorous and who are less.

It was way toooooo late when I typed my original email. I SHOULD have been in bed!

Thank you for the comments about Vocab from Classic Roots.... I wasn't aware of the difficulty level. I've also contemplated doing the Wordly Wise instead - especially since we might do Latin. Any thoughts?

I forgot that we would also be doing:

Lightning Literature 7, along with the Literature from TOG3. DS is a fast reader. Also, some of the reading from TOG we've already done, so during those weeks that we don't do TOG, we will work on LL7. (also, I think this is a much better lit program than TOG's.)

Foreign Language? I thought about Latin. We have attempted it several times - it was quite easy for DS (Latina Christiana1), but we just didn't have the time.

Meet the Composers - looks like an easy once/week listen to the music, read about the composer, and do a coloring page.

There is a N.C.F.C.A. (speech and debate) group not too far away that we may participate with next year as well.

Have I now gone overboard?

Thanks much!