Menu

Cursive Question - Combining programs? Program Reccomendations

shehmeth

Hi,

We're planning to do Cursive for second - I was wondering if I can combine cursive letters from one or more program? Has anyone done this? :confused:

The thing is that for example there are a few "letter"s - let's say in the HWT' cursive or Zaner-Bloser or Palmer - that we do not like :glare: - for example their version of the A and the G - so I was wondering if I could use a different letter instead...

Maybe some of you can share which cursive program you use (that the letters look different from those 3 mentioned above). :bigear:

Thanks, ;)

Kate

We used Abeka's Writing with Phonics 2 (manuscript to cursive) from 1992. They still sell them brand new. I liked all of the letters except the Q. It looked like a funky 2. We are using HWT for print though with ds7. I don't know if I will continue with it for cursive. FWIW, I write cursive totally different than the way we taught the kids this year. I was taught with Abeka but over the years I have adapted and changed my writing.

I think that happens with everyone. In the long run, I don't think anyone writes cursive exactly the way they were taught.

I think you may be making it harder on yourself than necessary. I would pick "one style" and go with it. If you really want your own style... (which is what you're saying) and you realize you'll never be able to pick up an already done copybook... then choose something like Startwrite and go back and forth changing styles. You can try a sample free :)

As recommended already, "StartWrite" software would give you the freedom to make your own worksheets with the style you prefer for each letter. This is what I am currently using.

You could also take a look at Cursive-Simple or Cursive First.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to teach the letter you prefer even if it is different from the one taught in whatever program you prefer.

I always teach both ways to make the Q and let my child choose.

It has been my experience that eventually most children adjust and develop their own style.

hth

I'll check out StartWrite.... Do you know if they have it for Macs?

I like the idea BlessedMom Said of teaching them both way (the program way and my way).

s not as much as "I don't like them" (Well they d not look at all like the letters I write when I write cursive) - but when my DD has seen them (like the Q that looks like a 2) she can't quite make them out or simply start asking "why is that little a as big as a Capital Letter - it shouldn't be"... that kind of thing....

Kate