Menu

Which WWE ? Convention tomorrow!

KellyinPA

I'm narrowing down my choices for convention tomorrow and need help with writing. My boys (8 yo twins) have done very little writing this year (2nd grade) and this is one of the areas I am hoping to improve upon for third grade. We have used FLL mostly for grammar, they just weren't ready to write much yet. I'm looking online at samples of WWE but thought I'd ask for opinions of those who have actually used it;) WWE 3 looks like way to much writing for my guys so it's really between 1 and 2. Must I begin with WWE 1 or can I start with WWE 2 and just jump in?

They do fairly well with grammar and punctuation, it's the writing I'm mostly concerned about. Thanks so much for any advice!

I think you will probably be fine starting with 2. The big difference between 1 and 2 is that 1 has more copywork, and has no dictation until near the very end. 2 has dictation from the beginning.

As long as your DC have reasonable spelling skills for their age 2 should be fine. You watch them write, so even if they have trouble spelling something you correct it as they go so it shouldn't be a problem.

Since they will not have had the experience from 1 with the narration, it may take a little longer to get them to not include all of the details of the passage when narrating. With a little patience this will come.

It is a great program, it has been a favorite for all of my 3. We use the workbook which makes the teaching so easy. They enjoy hearing passages from many different books and it has inspired them to seek some of them out at the library for free reading.

Well, I haven't been there done that, but I plan to start WWE 1 with my 8 year old son this coming school year. I borrowed the WWE text from my library and have been doing some of the Level 1 lessons as a trial. It has went very well and he actually enjoys it, gasp! I've decided to begin at the beginning and I am purchasing the WWE 1 workbook for him. I like the practice with dictation. The students are practicing orally skills that will help them become better writers. Forming complete sentences and summarizing passages by answering questions you ask them. I'd say, no you don't have to start with 1, and you could jump into 2 if you wanted. They might get more out of the program if you start at the beginning though. This thought is why I've decided to start with 1. Also with 1 you can choose less writing if you want. There are shorter and longer copywork sentences to choose between. Level 2 has either longer sentences or more than one sentence for each copywork lesson. If they aren't writing much it may be easier and more enjoyable for them to start with the shorter copywork sentences in Level 1. They'd still be gaining tons from it.

I'm narrowing down my choices for convention tomorrow and need help with writing. My boys (8 yo twins) have done very little writing this year (2nd grade) and this is one of the areas I am hoping to improve upon for third grade. We have used FLL mostly for grammar, they just weren't ready to write much yet. I'm looking online at samples of WWE but thought I'd ask for opinions of those who have actually used it;) WWE 3 looks like way to much writing for my guys so it's really between 1 and 2. Must I begin with WWE 1 or can I start with WWE 2 and just jump in?

They do fairly well with grammar and punctuation, it's the writing I'm mostly concerned about. Thanks so much for any advice!

Given almost your identical situation, we found that WWE 1 was too easy. WWE 2 was perfect.