Menu

Detroiters! Need some help!

This is actually for my SIL. She and her dh will be moving to the Detroit are over the summer. SIL is 40-ish with no children and not prospect of children. She and her dh would like a community that is a bit eclectic, with unique shops, restaurants, etc. She will be working in the Troy area, so the community needs to be within reasonable commuting distance to Troy. They have no need for great schools or a family-friendly environment. She wants to be near these eclectis shops, restaurants, etc., but not right behind them, kwim? What areas can I suggest to her? Thanks!

My 1st recommendation would be Birmingham. Next would be Royal Oak, but RO is geared toward a slightly younger crowd.

Birmingham traditionally is an expensive area, but housing values are depressed about 65% or more, so she should be able to find a steal.

Both are about a 10 minute commute to Troy.

I'm on the other side of town. But, I hear Royal Oak and Berkeley have unique shops.

I'm in Grosse Pointe and we have quite a few eclectic shops/restaurants. And, houses are CHEAP here now. But, the commute to Troy would be about 1/2/day in good traffic.

It's nice to hear of someone moving IN to our area instead of out.

Yep, Birmingham and Royal Oak would work. Or Clawson; it's just next to Royal Oak. Very close to the artsy atmosphere of Royal Oak, but less of a 'young people party scene' on the weekends (in my former life, LOL, it was not unusual to find me in the club/bar area of Royal Oak on any given weekend). Plus, houses are less expensive in Clawson than Royal Oak.