Menu

When meds might cause weight gain?

I lost 22 lbs. with Weight Watchers between Aug '09 and Jan. '10. Since April, my doctors have been trying different meds to manage my bipolar and OCD. I gained a few lbs. and my doctors told me some of my meds can cause weight gain. Is there a particular reason this happens, i.e. water weight, or hunger? My eating hasn't changed. I'm still doing the same thing I was doing when I was maintaining my weight in Feb - March.

Over the past week, I started walking again. I am trying to walk 2.7 miles a day around a track, 4 or 5 days a week. Someone warned me that exercise will turn fat into muscle, but surely walking wouldn't do that. I jog a little, but it's taking me about 50 mins. to walk that 2.7 miles. I don't feel I'm overexerting myself.

I worked hard to get that weight off. And it was the second time in one year because I didn't maintain the first time. And now I'm gaining weight again. It's only a few lbs. but it only takes one step to begin a walk downhill, kwim?

So why do meds make a person gain weight? If it's really the meds that cause weight gain, could I possibly gain back that 20 lbs. or even more? Gosh, the idea of giving up anymore calories is kind of depressing. I definitely prefer maintenance level with more WW points over the losing weight level that has less WW points. It sounds like I'll need to diet forever to combat the meds.

I don't know any of the answers to your questions, but I'm commiserating...

I lost 25 lbs with WW just when I turned 40. I know exactly how much I weighted when the docs changed my meds. I'm now 30 lbs heavier. I didn't change my eating habits at all. I'm putting on 1lb per month. It's been 30 months. Easy calculations, no? I have never been this heavy in my whole life. My knees are starting to bother me. This is no fun at all

For many psychotropic medications it is literally part of the mechanism that makes them work. eg: what makes them do their stuff on your brain also (unfortunately) may give you a belly.

There is a bunch of information and helpful data that explains the process here.

asta

:grouphug: ! That class of medication can save a life -- only to trigger severe struggles in other areas (specifically weight gain). BTDT for one of my dc. Hang in there and, again, -- :grouphug: !

Asta, you are so very, very helpful to all of us by sharing your research knowledge and skills in the medical arena. Here is my personal "thank you" !

:grouphug: ! That class of medication can save a life -- only to trigger severe struggles in other areas (specifically weight gain). BTDT for one of my dc. Hang in there and, again, -- :grouphug: !

Asta, you are so very, very helpful to all of us by sharing your research knowledge and skills in the medical arena. Here is my personal "thank you" !

You're welcome! I enjoy doing it and it keeps my mind moving. I still have TONS to learn.

a