Menu

Can you help me pick a Latin program?

I am moving to an LCC approach to my homeschool.

Also we are starting Classical Conv. this fall. Originally I planned to just do the Latin memory work from CC and not worry about more. Then I read LCC!:tongue_smilie: Now I want a full Latin program.

I'm not going to do anything this coming year for my little guy, he's just K and not reading yet.

My dd will be 10 - 5th grade. No prior Latin experience at all, but we've had a year of Spanish that she has done well with and we plan to continue (prob with Discovery Streaming). She's so-so on grammar.

I'd like a strong grammar type program to start her (and me!) off with. I think her grammar is weak and I'd like to reinforce those concepts through Latin, so I'm less concerned with vocab.

I've taken a look online at Getting Started with Latin (looks good as a gentle intro - but what to move on to from there?), and Latin for Children, and Latina Christiana, and Latin Prep. Then there's FFL, LL, and so many more. My mind is swirling and I have no idea what to buy. I like the idea of Christian based but it doesn't have to be.

Help! Would any one of these be good, should I go with one with DVDs since I have to experience with Latin at all? I like the cost of GSWL right now, but I really want to start strong so I'm willing to make the investment.

Are there any programs I should avoid given my goals?

I have experience with all of the Memoria Press curricula as well as Wheelock. If you want a grammar based approach that is not too intense, the MP Form Series would be an excellent choice. It is definitely grammar-centric. If you would prefer something more rigorous, then you can wade into Henle at your own pace. There are support materials available for either approach. Given her age, the Latina Christiana would likely be way too simple and slow moving for her.

Hope that helps...

Lively Latin. LL includes English grammar, so it would cover grammar as well. I started with my ds#2 on LL1 when he was 10yo. We are now on lesson 5 of LL2 & he knows more Latin than my older dc. LL has a more CM approach as it includes a variety of acitivities (classical history, art appreciation, English Grammar, Latin Grammar, derivitives, etc.) We aim to cover 1-2 activities each day. It takes us 20-45 mintues usually. LL1 can easily be completed in a year, but LL2 is much meatier & is taking a lot longer. But that's OK with me as I'm not wanting to race through the curriculum. My goal is for ds#2 to truely understand the material.

After we complete LL2, we'll move onto the Galore Park Latin books, either Latin Prep 1 or SYRWTL Latin 1. I have used both with my older dc & really like the books, but LL is a better fit for the middle school age group IMHO.

I have used Prima Latina & Latina Christiana 1 before we discovered LL & the Galore Park books. We found the Memoria Press books dry & very boring. I did not have the dvds, but the audio cds were painful to listen to as the speaker had a very strong Southern accent. All the lessons followed the same format & by lesson 6 everyone was dreading Latin time. We did not find this with either Lively Latin or the Galore Park books. Ds#2 really looks forward to Latin (LL). Ds#1 has asked to pick up Latin again (LP), even though he is now studying at polytech. Dd insisted on taking her Latin books (SYRWTL Latin) off to uni with her.

JMHO,

Edited by Deb in NZ

Excellent responses, thank you! It's good to know LCI would be too easy-slow. That's the kind of info I needed, so thanks Gratia!!. I'll be attending 2 used book sales in a few weeks and I'd love to know what to keep an eye out for!

And I'm loving the combo of things in Lively Latin that you mentioned Deb. I'm off to take another look at that one. I'm not too concerned with our pace at this point. But I would like something enjoyable. She seems to enjoy linguistics, so I am hoping she and I can both have a little fun and stretch ourselves this year with Latin!

Excellent responses, thank you! It's good to know LCI would be too easy-slow. That's the kind of info I needed, so thanks Gratia!!. I'll be attending 2 used book sales in a few weeks and I'd love to know what to keep an eye out for!

And I'm loving the combo of things in Lively Latin that you mentioned Deb. I'm off to take another look at that one. I'm not too concerned with our pace at this point. But I would like something enjoyable. She seems to enjoy linguistics, so I am hoping she and I can both have a little fun and stretch ourselves this year with Latin!

I think Getting Started with Latin is a great, thorough, and gentle introduction. You could easily use it to get your feet wet, and then move into another program (we like Latin Prep here for 5th grade :)).

I'm using Lively Latin and am enjoying it but I have an 8 year old. If I were starting out with a 5th grader, I really like the looks of the Great Latin Adventure.

And just to throw another one into the mix, I like the new(ish) Logos Latin program as well. It is Classical pronunciation, grammar-based, Christian, and includes DVDs. It is tempting the curriculum junkie in me. :D

Thanks everyone!!

I think Getting Started with Latin is a great, thorough, and gentle introduction. You could easily use it to get your feet wet, and then move into another program (we like Latin Prep here for 5th grade :)).

JudoMom, I was just going to pm you because of GSWL and then Latin Prep in your sig! This sounds like it might be a good plan for us.

I do like the looks of Lively Latin, but honestly I am already doing all my own printing for Math Mammoth and I'd rather have something a little more open and go. I know that sounds lame, but there you go.

And right now I'd rather not spend over $100 on something like LfC. I just don't see it when we are so new to latin. I think I will go ahead and order GSWL and see how that goes. We might even start now so she has a head start before fall, then move on to Latin Prep. I really like the looks of that one.

We are using Lively Latin 1. We love the variety of activities in this book. However, the author has not finished Lively Latin 2. It was partially finished the beginning of this school year. It is still partially finished now. I am sure someone here can tell you more.