Menu

Tips for not going insane during carpet and other flooring installation...

The thought of having every room in my house torn up for a few days has been reaching for a Mikes..... It won't be all that bad...right. So what if every room is dimantled. It will give me the chance to reorganize, clean dust bunnies from every corner, give the kids a room a fresh coat of paint without worrying about drips..... I can do this, I can do this.:willy_nilly: I just need to visualizen how nice my house will look when it's all over.

We've gone through this a few times in the past few years (our lower level flooded TWICE so we had to have it completely recarpeted, and we also had hardwoods put in on the entire main level). It's definitely stressful, but it feels SO GOOD when it's all done!!

In terms of tips, there's no "magic advice" I can offer that is going to make this any easier for you (although when we had the hardwoods done, my DH was out of town and the kids stayed at my mom's house for several days - that helped). :) I think your attitude of "I'm going to focus on how nice this will be when it's done and it's great that I get to paint, etc." is the best approach you can take.

Hope it all goes well (and quickly!!) - and enjoy your new flooring!! :)

We're building bedrooms upstairs right now, so I understand the frustration that comes with construction chaos. We only had to move 5 kids' stuff around up there, so doing the whole house's floors would be much worse.

For me it's the safety stress of having 7 kids running around everything up there. Right now there's a loft bed area framed over the stairwell that's scaring me most...so enticing, but not drywalled in.:ohmy:

We had wood floors installed in the entire house last fall. Every single thing in the house (except what was in the bathrooms) had to be moved to the basement or garage. It took two weeks, although the kitchen was unusable for only one week. It was a good opportunity to declutter, and we got rid of a bunch of old furniture.

It was a pain, but worth it in the long run.

If you are doing wood floors, my only tip is make sure you move the fridge. We left ours, and the odor of the varnish and polyurethane accumulated in the fridge and all the food had to be thrown out. All the appliances smelled bad for weeks. Wish I'd known that before.

I don't know, I kinda went insane.. . . . .

The crew we had installing our carpet - in 8 out of our 11 rooms - INSISTED they could do it in one day. Stupid us, we believed them.

They did it in one day, alright. . . . .and finished at 11:30 at night. No kidding.

Next time, we'll INSIST they stop by 6:30.

It was a NIGHTMARE.