Menu

HWT..."Magic C"?

Hi! I am going to start my boys on HWT Cursive, and have not used the previous manuscript books. There is a lot of mention of "magic C" within the book. I have read through the TM and can't find an explanation of it. I have a feeling it has something to do with "c" being the "start" of writing several other letters. Am I on to something? Can someone please give me a full explanation that I may pass on to my boys?

Thank you! :001_smile:

It's been a long time since I used this program with my daughter, but yes, as I remember the magic C is a basic form, along with straight lines, that is the basis of a lot of the letters that initially give very young children trouble. emphasis on the shape/letter C helps them see its presence in a number of other rounded letters and also helps with directionality once they have that C down.

You might want to also check their parent helps downloads if something is helpful there.

http://www.hwtears.com/parents/parentextras

Yes, you're on the right track -- learning the curve of c will help with other formations and starting places. We never did the hat and bunny thing in my house, so don't get too worried with that part. Have them follow the pictures and cues in the workbook. should be ok.

-crystal

Magic C is a big part of the earlier levels of books. There is even a rabbit and hat with the magic C.

Basically, the magic c can turn itself into other letters--a,b,d,e,g,o,p,q, and s. It's a little like the the clock letter concept.:001_smile:

Just a slight correction...b and p are diver letters. The HWT approaches are very useful for helping kids avoid or reduce reversals because the letters b and d are formed differently, and p and q are formed differently, etc... They are even taught (initially) separately from each other to help avoid confusion. Wish I had tried HWT from the beginning!

Merry :-)

Just a slight correction...b and p are diver letters. The HWT approaches are very useful for helping kids avoid or reduce reversals because the letters b and d are formed differently, and p and q are formed differently, etc... They are even taught (initially) separately from each other to help avoid confusion. Wish I had tried HWT from the beginning!

Merry :-)

Yay! This is why I decided to teach cursive to my youngest instead of trying to correct his manuscript formation. :001_smile: