Menu

Please help me state this in a coherent positive manner

Rewording the OP:

The thing is that there are many people involved in the education of a child: The child himself,the parents, the community, the administration, the politicians, the teacher. I cannot change the first 10 years the child experienced. I can't change what he brings to the table (IQ, prior knowledge, diffabilities, etc). I can't change (though I may hope to influence) whether his parents are involved or not (or whether it is positive or negative thing in that is the situation). I cannot force a ceratin change upon the community or administration or government (and even if I could, it won't be done within one school year as things take time). The ONLY person that I can make sure does what SHE needs to do day in and day out is ME.

I actually managed to get rid of the problem IN the statement, but I still have the conclusion which, in part, currently states:

I may only be able to fully control one piece of the puzzle- my own – but I can do that earnestly and really make a difference for every student I am privileged to teach.

I REALLY don't like the word control there. I don't believe it says what I want it to say and it's just too loaded of a word. I need the first paragraph of this post to be summed up in a word or phrase :-/

What I'm MEANING (and what I said in my statement) is that I am in control of ME. *I* can choose to be the best educator I can be. I choose what roles I fill. I choose what character traits I possess. I choose what I do to make it all come together to give each child my solid brick towards his foundation. I outlined each of these things in detail.

I really want to put the responsibility of my actions SQUARELY on my shoulders. I want to do so without the word CONTROL. LOL

ETA: Ooops...I lost something here. This is part of my Philosophy of Education statement I'm writing as part of my student teaching application as well as for my portfolio.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Rewording the OP:

The thing is that there are many people involved in the education of a child: The child himself,the parents, the community, the administration, the politicians, the teacher. I cannot change the first 10 years the child experienced. I can't change what he brings to the table (IQ, prior knowledge, diffabilities, etc). I can't change (though I may hope to influence) whether his parents are involved or not (or whether it is positive or negative thing in that is the situation). I cannot force a ceratin change upon the community or administration or government (and even if I could, it won't be done within one school year as things take time). The ONLY person that I can make sure does what SHE needs to do day in and day out is ME.

I actually managed to get rid of the problem IN the statement, but I still have the conclusion which, in part, currently states:

I REALLY don't like the word control there. I don't believe it says what I want it to say and it's just too loaded of a word. I need the first paragraph of this post to be summed up in a word or phrase :-/

What I'm MEANING (and what I said in my statement) is that I am in control of ME. *I* can choose to be the best educator I can be. I choose what roles I fill. I choose what character traits I possess. I choose what I do to make it all come together to give each child my solid brick towards his foundation. I outlined each of these things in detail.

I really want to put the responsibility of my actions SQUARELY on my shoulders. I want to do so without the word CONTROL. LOL

ETA: Ooops...I lost something here. This is part of my Philosophy of Education statement I'm writing as part of my student teaching application as well as for my portfolio.

Reminds me of William Glasser who did use the phrase Control Theory to mean something like what you're explaining. That in the end, he couldn't really control others at all, only offer choices. They were always able to choose something that would in the end be to their detriment. He later renamed his idea Choice Theory to highlight the choice rather than the illusion of control. So maybe it does belong in your statement to point out that control is only internal.

I'm not sure if this is where you're going, but maybe you can work with it. :001_smile:

Many people and autonomous influences shape the education of a child - parents, community, culture, school administration, teachers...and most importantly, the child himself.

Initially, each child's unique strengths, weaknesses, prior knowledge and internal motivation are factors independent from the influence of a teacher. And yet, as the relationship between teacher and student develops, the teacher has a special role in nurturing strengths, encouraging progress in weaknesses, enlarging the sphere of knowledge, and boosting the motivation of each individual student.

The teacher ultimately chooses to foster and grow this relationship. By modeling admirable character traits and educational ideals, the teacher increases his or her ability to be an influential figure in the life of a child.

After reading your post, the above was my paraphrase of what I "heard" you saying. Hope this helps!