Menu

I need a computer math recommendation

kgreenaz

We use Singapore math. My 7yo is really mathy. Teaches himself and I just give him the workbooks. He was 5 pages into division before I saw what he was doing. He said he got it (and he did) so he kept going and then taught himself addition and subtraction with money.

My 8yo not so much. Math is a foreign language to him. He's more relational so he learns his times table by mnemonic device. I really need to take things slowly with him. Really, painfully slowly with LOTS of manipulatives and explaining things that we learned a long time ago. Reminding.

We are going to school all year so this summer I don't want my 7yo to start 3A without us. But he loves math so much and I don't see why I can't keep him busy with a computer math program. Problem is I don't know of any. I think Teaching Textbooks is one but I don't want to cross programs if it's very different from Singapore.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do with my 7yo this summer as far as math goes? He would seriously be bummed if he couldn't do some type of math. We currently use every Singapore resource (extra practice, tests, challenging word problems, rainbow rock) as well as Critical Thinking Co.'s Balance Benders, Math Analogies and another math book that I can't remember.

I really need it to be something that he can do on his own as I need to be working with my 8yo. So I was thinking computer math. He plays Timez Attack right now but I'm looking for a more rounded math program.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks so much!! Kim

We used Singapore when my dds were elementary age and they loved using the Singapore computer math program, but I don't remember what it is called. You might try looking for it on the Singapore Math website. It really helped solidify the concepts for my kids, and it was fun for them.

the Singapore computer math program

Yes, my kids loved this too! There are 3 Singapore Math CDs, one for P1/P2 called Rainbow Rock, another for P3/P4 called Vroot & Vroom, and the last for P5/P6 called Wiggle Woods, and cost about $20 each.

I had forgotten all about these! They have different "buildings" to visit, some give instruction in concepts, others practice them, and still others give challenging problems to solve. He could do the problem solving in Rainbow Rock, and/or begin Vroot & Vroom to become familiar with next year's material.

Also, don't forget to visit http://www.freehomeschoolsoftware.com/ Of course, the software is not "free", you pay about $6 "shipping and handling" for each CD, but it is still a great deal. They have tons of titles on lots of different subjects. You could look for some specifically for math, many of which use strategy and problem-solving to play games, if he likes that. There are also grade-level CDs, like Clue Finders 3rd grade, etc., so he could be reviewing the previous grade's material or getting ready for the next, not only in math.

Then there's Time4Learning, which covers all subjects, but is a subscription-based program, so it would be more expensive. You can sign up for a free trial, though, and see if he likes it. If so, $20/month for the summer isn't bad.

HTH!

We use Singapore math. My 7yo is really mathy. Teaches himself and I just give him the workbooks. He was 5 pages into division before I saw what he was doing. He said he got it (and he did) so he kept going and then taught himself addition and subtraction with money.

My 8yo not so much. Math is a foreign language to him. He's more relational so he learns his times table by mnemonic device. I really need to take things slowly with him. Really, painfully slowly with LOTS of manipulatives and explaining things that we learned a long time ago. Reminding.

We are going to school all year so this summer I don't want my 7yo to start 3A without us. But he loves math so much and I don't see why I can't keep him busy with a computer math program. Problem is I don't know of any. I think Teaching Textbooks is one but I don't want to cross programs if it's very different from Singapore.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do with my 7yo this summer as far as math goes? He would seriously be bummed if he couldn't do some type of math. We currently use every Singapore resource (extra practice, tests, challenging word problems, rainbow rock) as well as Critical Thinking Co.'s Balance Benders, Math Analogies and another math book that I can't remember.

I really need it to be something that he can do on his own as I need to be working with my 8yo. So I was thinking computer math. He plays Timez Attack right now but I'm looking for a more rounded math program.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks so much!! Kim

Aha Math

I'll second the suggestion to use Singapore Math DVDs but also consider the free British program, MEP. There is an interactive portion that is online. We use Singapore as our primary program but supplement with MEP. My younger daughter needs the extra work and my older daughter just likes math.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

Sorry I don't know how to create a link.

Ann

Yes, my kids loved this too! There are 3 Singapore Math CDs, one for P1/P2 called Rainbow Rock, another for P3/P4 called Vroot & Vroom, and the last for P5/P6 called Wiggle Woods, and cost about $20 each.

I have RR and I have to say, we don't care for it at all. They have a hard time figuring out how to play the games. I'll try again but I wish they had explanations!

Also, don't forget to visit http://www.freehomeschoolsoftware.com/ Then there's Time4Learning, which covers all subjects, but is a subscription-based program, so it would be more expensive. You can sign up for a free trial, though, and see if he likes it. If so, $20/month for the summer isn't bad.

THANK YOU!! Yes, I'd pay almost anything to ensure that they can keep on learning throughout the summer!

Kim

Wow, it sounds like you are describing my ds! He is a VERY independent learner (especially in math). He wants his assignments and off he goes. Anyway, I had planned on switching to Teaching Textbooks this next year so he could work at his own speed w/o having to "wait for mom" since I am also working w/ 3 other dc. Well, we received TT in the mail & ds wanted to "try it out." So I thought, "Ok, he'll get a feel for it and be ready to go this fall." Well, he loves it so much, he went through the first 5 lessons that day! I figure I'll just let him keep going as long as he is retaining the info he is learning (at this rate he'll be finished about the time we are read to start school!). In my opinion, TT is a great option for an independent learner.

Thanks, Katie! The only issue that I have is that TT was slightly recommended to me at the Singapore forum but you know how advanced SM is! So they said to be careful on where to place my little guy because it will definitely be below Singapore's levels.

Is that a possibility of why your son likes it so much? Because it's easy? I'm just worried about the boredom factor? How did you figure out how to place him in TT? Is the TT that you got him at/below/above his level in Singapore (if he's doing Singapore?).

Thanks, Kim