Menu

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Spanish...reviews?

Sue G in PA

I have Auralog's Tell Me More Spanish program to use with dd13 next year. She had Spanish 1 this year in ps and did very well. TMM is an immersion program. I am thinking I would like to supplement with a grammar focused program like SYRWTL Spanish. Has anyone used this? She would probably be in Level 2 after completing Span. 1 this year. Thanks!

We're using it now, as a complement to Rosetta Stone. We enjoy RS, but found that ds needed and wanted a more grammar-based approach. So now we work RS one day a week, and SYRWTLS the other 4.

We're finishing up Book 1, and I've been happy with it. It's thorough, and explains concepts well. Some material isn't introduced in the way I would have preferred, but different isn't necessarily bad. Ds has learned quite a lot this way. :) He appreciates that the authors wrote it with a bit of a sense of humor. It makes translation more fun when you suspect there might be something funny at the end. :)

I speak Spanish, and therefore did NOT buy the audio CD, only the student and teacher books. I wish now I had purchased the CD, as ds would have benefited from listening to the reading selections and exercises several times. I honestly don't want to sit there and repeat them over and over to him. :glare: If you speak Spanish, the CD's aren't *necessary,* only an extra. But a nice extra to have. If you do not speak Spanish, you need to purchase the CDs.

I haven't seen book 2 yet, so I couldn't comment on which level would suit your dd. Maybe you can see the TOC online somewhere?

HTH!

Hillary

I can't speak about the program itself although I have read great reviews. I just wanted to comment on the CDs. I am a native Spanish speaker and I buy the CDs for whatever programs I choose. It's not just about convenience for the parent, it's also about having your child get used to as many different Spanish voices and accents as possible and not just your own (or your family's).

We're using old Scott Foresman textbooks for Spanish, but if we hadn't, we probably would have used SYRWTLS or Breaking the Barrier Spanish. Both look good to me. It's great that you're planning to get the CDs, too. I am a big believer in spending lots of time listening to a new language.

Good luck!

I am a native Spanish speaker and I buy the CDs for whatever programs I choose. It's not just about convenience for the parent, it's also about having your child get used to as many different Spanish voices and accents as possible and not just your own (or your family's).

I agree. This is an excellent point. Thank you! :)

It's thorough, and explains concepts well.

We started using it last year, but have dropped it ONLY due to lack of time. Other than that, I have to agree with the above quote. I wanted something that had clear grammar explanations, vocabulary, grammar forms, and translation, and this has it. According to Laura Corin and IIRC the GP website, the three levels are high school level.

My only minor complaint is that it introduces a LOT of vocabulary at once. But when we started it, I just made up flashcards for vocab and for grammar forms, and we memorized those each day. But then again, maybe it's normal for a high school language program to introduce a lot of vocab - my only experience is MP and Henle Latin, which purposely keeps the amount of vocab down so you can concentrate on grammar. I guess with a modern language, you'd WANT to learn a lot of vocab at once. Anyway, I think SYRWTLS is a good combo of vocab and grammar.

My only minor complaint is that it introduces a LOT of vocabulary at once. But when we started it, I just made up flashcards for vocab and for grammar forms, and we memorized those each day. But then again, maybe it's normal for a high school language program to introduce a lot of vocab - my only experience is MP and Henle Latin, which purposely keeps the amount of vocab down so you can concentrate on grammar. I guess with a modern language, you'd WANT to learn a lot of vocab at once. Anyway, I think SYRWTLS is a good combo of vocab and grammar.

It does introduce a lot of vocab, you're right! Ds spends a lot of time making vocabulary cards, and he studies and reviews them daily. (He has some sort of rotation system worked out.) In the beginning it was a little overwhelming, but ass you progress through the book the lists get shorter. :)