Menu

Books for brothers....

stephanie

Well... you don't mention the age of your boys but my 7 yo has enjoyed this series.

This is NOT high literature so I hesitate to mention it but it popped to mind immediately. There is a series of books about toad brothers named Warton and Morton by Russell Erickson. They are highly loyal to each other and work well together during each disaster (since each book has some sort of disaster). The first book has Warton by himself in A Toad for Tuesday for most of the adventure and could be skipped with no problem to read whatever one your library has. We've only read four of them but they suit the bill. Warton and the King of the Skies was good on teamwork.

- Wright Brothers (Reynolds) -- 2 brothers invent/problem solve together

- Kite Fighters (Park) -- 2 brothers struggle, but ultimately pull together to win a contest

- Hardy Boys (Dixon) -- 2 brothers work as a team to solve mysteries

- One City, Two Brothers (Smith) -- lovely fable; the care/concern 2 brothers have for each other founds a city

Books I have NOT read (so please preview!):

- The Criminal in the Caymans (Berry) -- 2 brothers in a travel/fact/adventure story

- Adventure in Africa (Berry) -- as above

- Williwaw (Bodett) -- 2 brothers decide to disobey together, then worry about consequences

- Miracle's Boys (Woodson) -- 3 brothers deal with loss of their parents, gang violence, urban poverty, but keep deep affection for one another

We found this non-fiction book written by 3 homeschooled siblings helpful in seeing the importance of loving and honoring one's siblings:

- Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends (Mally)

The only other thing I can think of are some books that have mixed sibling groups (brothers and sisters), acting like siblings, but pulling together "when the chips are down":

- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; Prince Caspian (Lewis)

- Five Children and It; The Phoenix and the Carpet (Nesbitt)

- Half Magic; Magic By the Lake; Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager)