Menu

K, 2nd, 3rd grade: what resources with SOTW Vol 1?

I'm considering completely switching gears and doing SOTW Vol 1 (instead of another year of American history) with my children in our new school year (starting next month). Several years ago I had a copy but it's been a long time since I looked at one. Please refresh my memory- what do I NEED to do this program? I know I need the book, plus I'd like the activity guide. But what about supplemental books (like history encyclopedias) with extra reading? Are any of them essential? If so, which ones do you recommend? (Please keep in mind we have a tiny library so I can't depend on it, but I can't afford to buy a whole ton of books either).

We make it work with the book, the guide and an Usborne encyclopedia of history (and a bonus of the CDs - but these are not necessary). My son loves SOTW so much, that he will just sit and read it without anything else. He's listened to vol. 1 so many times, but he never tires of it. Since it is in story format, he loves it. Hope that helps!

I buy the book on cd and let my boys just listen to it! They beg for it every day! If you wanted to go further, I would purchase the book, too, and perhaps have the oldest read along with the cd's for reading practice. I bought the test booklet, also, but not the activity book. I liked being able to quiz every once in a while, just to make sure they were absorbing the details. In addition to SOTW, I would buy the Veritas Press history timeline cards, put them in chronological order, and have your kids memorize the events in order. This is a great way for them to have a good working knowledge of world history. Supplement with activities or library books, biographies of the people, etc. Enjoy!

would all make nice additions for your study of SOTW 1. If you can't afford to get all three, try to find a way to get at least one of these. If you can get two out of three, I'd recommend a globe and an atlas appropriate for your dc's ages.

We already have those items, so we're covered there. I'm mainly trying to figure out which books would be nice to have.

I did buy the workbook and Usborne Ancient History internet linked book. We've done just fine with those. I can also find short videos on historychannel.com. My kids love audio books so maybe I'll go back and get those eventually.

I usually go thru the activity guide at the beginning of the year and pick out two or three books from each chapter that sound interesting based on the descriptions. THen I look them up at the library. If I find one, great. If not, no problem. I also look at the nonfiction section for books with great illustrations--if I can't find the ones in the AG, I just look at the same place on the library shelf using the DD number. Often I find a book that is just as good.

I do have several favorites from each year, but I hesitate to offer their titles, as taste in books varies so much. Really, there should be books to supplement nearly every culture in your library, because they are pretty mainstream--Egypt, Greece, Rome, etc. Get a good book on myths (D'Aulaire's or the one on the Greek Gods by Aliki are good for the Greeks) and some on fairytales from China and other lands (check the picture book section and ask your librarian). One fun thing we did was to compare Cinderella type stories across cultures. As we encountered each culture, we usually found some! This was more for Medieval, tho. You can do the same thing with creation/origin of the universe type stuff.

I'm considering completely switching gears and doing SOTW Vol 1 (instead of another year of American history) with my children in our new school year (starting next month). Several years ago I had a copy but it's been a long time since I looked at one. Please refresh my memory- what do I NEED to do this program? I know I need the book, plus I'd like the activity guide. But what about supplemental books (like history encyclopedias) with extra reading? Are any of them essential? If so, which ones do you recommend? (Please keep in mind we have a tiny library so I can't depend on it, but I can't afford to buy a whole ton of books either).

I'll be doing this as well--we did HOD Beyond this year, and I really want to get into the chronological cycle, like I did with my older two, for the next 3 years (2nd-4th), and then come back to HOD CtC for 5th grade. My plan this year is to use SOTW 1 with AG and Biblioplan. I like the schedule in Biblioplan because it brings in Biblical history and covers it along with Ancients.

Here is the list of what I bought to go with SOTW1 and the AG. Bear in mind that these are also my Literature selections. These books plus FLL, Spelling Workout, Singapore and Song School Latin comprise ALL of of my curriculum for next year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1 of: The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, Editors of Kingfisher

Condition: New

Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC

$19.77

1 of: Who Were the First North Americans? (Starting Point History), Philippa Wingate, Struan Reid

$4.99

$12.47

1 of: The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy), Ludmila Zeman

$8.95

1 of: The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy), Ludmila Zeman

$8.95

$12.89

1 of: Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy), Ludmila Zeman

$8.95

1 of: Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors: An Activity Guide, Marian Broida

$11.53

1 of: Famous Men of Rome, John Haaren

$11.65

1 of: Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors: An Activity Guide, Marian Broida

$11.53

1 of: Black Ships Before Troy: The Story of 'The Iliad', Rosemary Sutcliff

$6.50

1 of: Ancient Agriculture: From Foraging to Farming (Ancient Technology), Michael Woods, Mary B. Woods

$21.59

1 of: One Small Blue Bead, Byrd Baylor, Ronald Himler

1 of: Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, Mary Hoffman, M. P. Robertson

$7.95

1 of: I Once Was a Monkey: Stories Buddha Told, $12.23 Jeanne M. Lee

1 of: D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths, Ingri d'Aulaire, Edgar Parin d'Aulaire $19.77

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We already owned the Usborne encyclopedia. If forced to pare down and not using this as a Lit curriculum, I think I'd ditch the picture books except for the D'Aulaire's, and keep the cheaper and meatier Black Ships Before Troy, the covering-obscure-info Who Were the First North Americans, and the the Israelite and Egyptian activity guides, which I purchased more for their additional reading about obscure cultures than for their activities.

I am also waiting with bated breath for the new version of the Classical Education Timeline from Pandia Press.