Menu

McGuffey readers

mo2

You can also find them on google books. The nice thing about google books is that it also includes the pictures. It you are wanting readers they also have Beacon and Elson readers. I just found Elson readers recently from someone here on the boards. My dd and I enjoyed the story that we read today.

Let me know if you need the links and I will post it.

Jan

Thanks, pixelroper. Do you just have your kids read aloud to you from them? I was thinking of using these for practice once dd is reading a little better.

Exactly, I think they were compiled w/reading aloud in mind. Especially the earlier years, the lessons are an appropriate length for the level.

If dd8 reads to herself exclusively for any length of time she will start speed reading, skipping words or inserting extra words. A couple of times we strayed from regular McGuffey use and had to correct some bad habits that had formed. Ugh.

There are also two versions, the original & the revised, I do not think one is better than the other just different. I seem to recall that the revised might be more secular??? Cannot remember. Maybe someone will comment on that.

I wouldn't say super religious as much as super values and morales, right and wrong. Lots of good vs bad character traits.

I agree with this. They are excellent books for young readers. Ds reads these books aloud to me; we have both and the original and the revised sets. I love these books and will probably keep them after both dc outgrow them!

So does anyone have a prefernce as to the original vs the revised? I have been trying to figure out which one to get.

I have the original set & a few of the revised. I think would work the same. The original is not *graded*, just sequential levels. The revised is more of a grade level/book. It may be cheaper to get the revised individually. The boxed set of originals includes a speller & usually a Ruth Beechick Parent's Guide. Many homeschooling friends use the revised starting after the dc can read beginning in levels 2 or 3.

Is this a complete set? It's much cheaper than the other ones I've seen, is the reason I'm asking.

http://www.amazon.com/McGuffeys-Eclectic-Readers-William-McGuffey/dp/0471294284/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207001230&sr=8-1

seems that way:) the cover pic says primer through the sixth. Good price! One thing I might add, I often consider getting a second copy to be able to read along w/dd. If there is a cheap used set, you might consider it OR printing off/reading along on screen at the gutenberg.org