Menu

Dive Chemistry: three questions

My dd finished DIVE Chemistry last week. She used the Apologia text, but she said that if she had to do it again she would either use the BJU textbook or also include the Apologia Advanced Chemistry book as well. There were just too many times when the terms and/or info that he was covering on the DVD were not in the Apologia textbook.

I can't help you with the labs because she did the labs at our local homeschool coop.

Yvonne in NE

Hi Brenda,

We are in the midst of DIVE Chemistry using both the Apologia texts. My son is enjoying it and doing well. We purchased the lab supplies we needed from Home Science Tools, and we have been able to do most of the labs here at home. A couple of them required equipment we just couldn't justify buying or only one lab, but overall, our lab experience has been great. My husband does most of the labs with our son and a friend who is also doing DIVE labs. If you do decide to do the labs at home, be sure to get the molecular structure kit - lots of fun, and very helpful for understanding how to visualize molecular geometry.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

I was getting ready to respond to your PM when I saw this. We moved from Spectrum to DIVE with the Apologia text (both of them) because we just found that the Spectrum texts didn't explain things well enough and she was tired of me having to reteach things in the book. She doesn't mind my helping her or explaining but she hated that basically every day I had to give a lecture to explain. Because I'd already spent the money on Spectrum, I really couldn't afford to buy the set for DIVE. You can get it at homesciencetools. I wish I had but that's just the way it goes. If I had it to do over (and I do with two others) I will use DIVE with either the BJU text - we both disliked Apologia - or hope that they come out with a syllabus for a secular text like they have with Biology - we'll be using Campbell with Biology next year. We are Christians but I really don't feel Apologia is up to what I want and I prefer not to purchase from BJU. I will if I have to but I'd rather not.

I guess I'm doing a bad job of selling my Spectrum :-)

Heather

Heather,

I have bought both Apologia books to do the Dive Bio next yr. & the Campbell book! I did not know he had produced a nice syllabus for the Campbell book!!!

How exciting...my book is done for me.

Thank you for telling us!:001_smile: