Menu

Questions about Spelling Power

HSMom2One

For those of you that either have or are using SP, would you mind telling me at what level your child is with the curriculum, and also what grade level they are? (For example, a 5th grader at Level F.)

I'd also like to know at what grade level your student(s) were at when they completed Level K.

Thanks for the feedback!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Each dc is different, and none have done Level K. My eldest didn't go that far because she really didn't need it. She is a freshman and hasn't done spelling for about 4 years because she rarely makes any kind of a spelling error. She's a natural speller. My middle one because we've been lax on spelling this year since she figured out her own way to remember how to spell, but we need to get back to it.

My ds, though, is in gr 4 and is not very far along. Like my middle one, he is NOT a natural speller.

I wouldn't worry about grade and level, but how well your dc can spell unless you have a specific dealine in mind. I used the placement tests for each of my dc and found that worked quite well.

My dd9 (who is a natural speller) is in 4th grade and at Level H in Spelling Power (but rarely misses a word). She was right on the line between H & I when I tested her.

My dd7 (who struggles with spelling) is in 2nd grade and at Level B.

We began using Spelling Power at the beginning of 2010.

[sidenote: dd7 was just reading over my shoulder and demanded an impromptu spelling bee . . . she did surprisingly well -- just to prove me wrong :glare: -- and wanted me to include that she really loves Spelling Power. She clearly has no trouble reading! :001_rolleyes:]

Each dc is different, and none have done Level K. My eldest didn't go that far because she really didn't need it. She is a freshman and hasn't done spelling for about 4 years because she rarely makes any kind of a spelling error. She's a natural speller. My middle one because we've been lax on spelling this year since she figured out her own way to remember how to spell, but we need to get back to it.

My ds, though, is in gr 4 and is not very far along. Like my middle one, he is NOT a natural speller.

I wouldn't worry about grade and level, but how well your dc can spell unless you have a specific dealine in mind. I used the placement tests for each of my dc and found that worked quite well.

Thank you, Karin. Actually, I'm not worried about my student. I just see such a broad range of levels that parents say their children are at and it made me curious. My own daughter is 5th grade and I have her at level F because she is not a "natural" speller and tested out where she is when we did the placement tests. She is at a level that is pretty much easy for her, but yet there are words that she does miss periodically and I want her to get them nailed down before we move on. I'd rather do that for now than regret it later, kwim?

Again, I'm really curious to see where a good selection of SP users are on this board.

Thanks,

Lucinda

I recently borrowed a copy of SP to see if I liked it. My dd 8 (2nd/3rd grade) tested into level G and my dd6 (1st grade) tested into level D. They both seem to be natural spellers. I'm still not sure if we will switch to this program yet as we need to do more of it, but so far I do like the fact that I can work with them at their respective levels.