Menu

Geometry for dyslexic students...

Before I sell my Jacob's Geometry and have to buy it back again :), I wanted to know what works best for a dyslexic student. I used Jacob's with my older (no learning disability) child, but I don't think it will work well for my dyslexic daughter, when the time comes. (We didn't find the DVDs helpful.)

Has anyone here successfully taught geometry to their dyslexic student, and what have you used?

Thank you!

I have not used it, but Discovering Geometry: An Inductive Approach by Michael Serra (Key Curriculum Press) looks interesting. It is a hands-on program using a discovery approach, delaying proofs to the end. I think if you do a search on this board you'll find a discussion about this curriculum by those who have used it.

HTH!

I found that Jacobs Geometry 3rd edition did not work well *at all* for my dyslexic son. The 2nd edition was better because it didn't have all the wordy real world overlay in every single problem. We actually ended up going with TT Geometry because I needed the teaching support it offered. Now that my geometry knowledge has been bolstered by going through TT, and I had it to do over again, I'd use Jacobs 2nd edition for Geometry.