Menu

Do colleges require a Health Course?

I know in my district in order to graduate from a Public High School a half year Health course is required. Will I need that for home schooling? I will be a Junior next year and still haven't taken it. I took Health in 6th and 8th grade and I know that won't be on my transcript but do colleges even require that course be taken? I would rather focus on History and Humanity courses since I want to be a History major.

I think it depends on the college. One lady several years ago told me that one college her dd applied to complained because there were not credits for health or pe on the transcript..... they had to add those with a grade.... then the daughther was accepted.

The mom just added it! They are a very active health nut family so the dd had plenty of physical training and nutrition knowledge, so the mom did not feel 'guility' about listing a course that was not formally taken.

Are you homeschooling under the district (which is at home, but reporting to the school district)?

If so, you may have to comply. If not, then you are under homeschool law, which can be different. SC has a school at home option, but you are under the school district, and take the online classes they require. But, there are other options to homeschool here, and we are under a homeschool association (that we pick, and they are a homeschooling family).

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Do you have specific colleges in mind? If you do, I'd contact them and see if they require it.

Are you homeschooling through a charter school? If so, I'm pretty sure graduation requirements are the same as if you were in a public day school.

I think I'd probably just go ahead and do a health course to be on the safe side. They are a pretty easy semester course.

I will be doing an online correspondence course but I live in Massachusetts so I had to go through the whole process, get approved with the letter of intent and everything.

I will be turning 17 in October though.

Anyways, the problem is- Health for the correspondence course is a whole year. Should I just make up my own health course and do it for a half year instead of using theirs?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I will be doing an online correspondence course but I live in Massachusetts so I had to go through the whole process, get approved with the letter of intent and everything.

I will be turning 17 in October though.

Anyways, the problem is- Health for the correspondence course is a whole year. Should I just make up my own health course and do it for a half year instead of using theirs?

Is 17 the upper age of compulsory attendance? Is the online correspondence course the ones who will be issuing your diploma and transcripts? If so, do they require health? Even if you are above the compulsory attendance age you would still have to meet their requirements for their diploma. Would they recognize and give credit for a half year health course that is not theirs and put it on your transcripts?

Here in Massachusetts, 6-16 is the Compulsory school age. The online correspondence program will be issuing my diploma and no, Health is not a requirement. They will look at my classes from 9th and 10th grade and decide what classes I should be taking and give me suggestions. Health will not be on the transcript they see though because I took it in 6th and 8th grade, not high school. In public schools here, Health is required to graduate. But my diploma and transcripts will be coming from the online program, not the school district. I just had to go through them to get approval.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Here in Massachusetts, 6-16 is the Compulsory school age. The online correspondence program will be issuing my diploma and no, Health is not a requirement. They will look at my classes from 9th and 10th grade and decide what classes I should be taking and give me suggestions. Health will not be on the transcript they see though because I took it in 6th and 8th grade, not high school. In public schools here, Health is required to graduate. But my diploma and transcripts will be coming from the online program, not the school district. I just had to go through them to get approval.

Gotcha. Then I would find out if the colleges you are interested (or a sampling of colleges you might go to if you aren't sure where you will go) in require health. If they do I'd see if the correspondence course will give you credit for/put on your transcripts a 1 semester health course you do not take through them. If not, I'd take their one year course so it would be on your transcripts. If none of the colleges you are interested in require health then I wouldn't worry about it.