Menu

MUS Alpha - cement math facts?

monalisa

We are struggling w/ dd7 getting her math facts down. She has no issue understanding math concepts at all. She just isn't retaining addition & subtraction facts. I've tried games, CD's (though I just got a new one w/ classical music that she likes that might be better), Calculadder, & copywork. What is bizarre to me is that she has an incredible memory for language -- she can memorize a poem or song with 1 or 2 readings but she can't seem to retain math facts (for example, doing a Calculadder drill today she sat there for probably 20 or 30 seconds trying to remember 2 + 8).

This summer I'm going to work on this with her. I was already planning to do parts of a different math curriculum; I bought Sing. Stds. 1A & 1B, but now I'm thinking this really isn't going to address her main need. I've looked at MUS off & on, and wondered if doing Alpha with her would help her cement the facts. I don't think I want to switch to MUS completely, just do it as a summer math curr. and possibly as a supplement.

Has anyone else used MUS for this purpose with any success?

My ds7 is halfway through MUS Beta, We use it as his main curriculum so and I haven't seen most of the other stuff you mentioned trying so this might not completely answer your questions, but...Here's my 2 cents anyway.:tongue_smilie:

If you're daughter is visual then the dvd's and blocks may be a tremendous help to cement the math facts. It has really helped my ds to "see" how things match up. Alpha spends a lot of time making 10 and such, with (and then without) the blocks. I highly recommend it to solidfy math facts (addition and subtraction) if your dd is kinesthetic or visual. Of course, you'd have to buy the blocks for this approach to work. You might try ebay, there are usually some cheap used sets there.

If money is a real issue you can just get the teachers manual/dvds and print up your own worksheets, MUS website has a worksheet generator and you can specify what lesson(s) you want covered on your worksheet. That won't work for the first few lessons (where they learn place value and the block values, there's no worksheets for those lessons). I often have made up my own worksheets, just making up problems of the kind in the lesson when I haven't had printer ink or ds needed extra work, or I just didn't have time to move on to a new lesson (including watching the video) today but we can't skip math......etc. etc.

I highly recommend MUS for cementing math facts for a visual/kinesthetic learner.

HTH

I've supplemented our MUS with the old set of flashcards from Saxon Level 3. I think you can order them individually without the whole saxon set. What I like about them is that they break down into sets like addition by twos or adding 9's. We started with a review of the rule and then drilled the flashcards to death. When he got decent at those sets I would introduce a third set. then drill drill drill. Each time I used the Mus to introduce the math fact rule and any tips then we made sure to do flashcards everyday. Now he is halfway through the subtraction facts and we have about 5 sets left (the hardest ones). I stopped doing addition flashcards and he now does addition drill sheets and the subtraction flashcards. As he gets good at the sub. cards I will transition to the sub. drill sheets. Hopefully this will work with multiplication next year too. It's nice because you just start with a couple of sets and build from there. Hope that helps. Ruby

Thanks for the replies! My dd is actually highly auditory with visual being her second favorite learning style. Sometimes math manipulatives have been more distracting than helpful, which has made me hesitate at MUS. However, when I've watched the demo videos (and DD has also), I've really liked them. Maybe I'll try to find used and give it a shot! Thanks!!!

You must have my oldest daughter's twin!!!

G was just like your daughter........ finally, out of desperation and spending lots of money on many different curriculums....... we switched to MUS. She was around 4th grade. We started with Alpha and worked our way quickly through to the end of Gamma.

It worked like a charm.....she is much, much better. We wound up switching back to Saxon this year and she is doing fine.... she still has moments of "air-headedness".......but is doing much better.

Pam,

That is comforting! So did your dd do fine with her regular lessons (able to complete worksheets in a reasonable amount of time), but then not be able at all to do a page of very simple facts (like addition within 10)? She can rattle off the +1 and +0 no problem, but anything more than that she has to stop & think usually.

My daughter was much as you're describing yours. I have to say that even with MUS, it's been a struggle to get it to stick. Where we were in tears with the math before MUS, now we still struggle but without tears. My daughter understands the math concept but it's retention of the fast facts that held us up. It took us ages to get through Alpha and we just finished Beta even though she's in 4th grade. It is working though.

My daughter is very good with language such as poetry memorization and remembering many facts from history that I read aloud. But when it comes to math facts or definitions in grammar, it is lost for her. We have found over the last year that some of her problems stem from neurological learning issues so in a sense, that was relief because it can be treated and this will eventually get better. All that to say, if you notice similiar problems with recall in other areas, it might be something to look into.

In the mean time, MUS gets my approval.

I really think it could be part developmental and part who she is. We were there a couple years ago with dd9. She knows her facts now but she's still not super quick with them. We did a lot of drill the years she was 7 and 8, and we switched to CLE that has the speed drills in the book and a lot of review in the lessons. Now she's great at math. I think CLE has done this for her on top of simply maturing. I don't think MUS would have worked with her as well as CLE has because of the continual review. Now I have others who do not have the fact retention problem and do not need the review that CLE supplies.

HTH!