Menu

A Childs History of the World text for The Grammar Stage?

Guest AmyVG

Guest AmyVG

Does anyone use A Child's History of The World by VM Hillyer for their children's history lessons in the grammar stage? I'm looking for a substitute for The Story of the World by Ms. Wise. From what reviews I've read SOTW is Christian based, I'm trying to find a non-denominational text on elementary world history. Any feedback on how you like this book?

Thanks! :)

Maybe you could get SOTW and see for yourself? Your library might have it. The religious content and perspective (or lack thereof) of it seems to be something that everybody interprets differently. You might not find it nearly as objectionable as some reviews would make you think. Some christians find it not religious enough and some secular users find it quite palatable.

I like CHOW too btw, but doing it with young ones like yours you'd need to go slower, maybe as part of a SL core. I did CHOW in 2nd grade with my dd and really liked it at that age. We used the workbook from calvert that goes with it (outlining), something your littles wouldn't probably be ready to do.

I agree with the suggestion that you take a look at SOTW for yourself before deciding. I prefer secular materials and would not use a religious-based history program. SOTW covers some biblical events, but not in a religious way, imo. I find SOTW palatable in this respect. I do think CHOW is a better read, from this grown-up's perspective anyway.

In fact I heard SWB speak once and she said herself that she intentionally kept religious "slant" OUT of SOTW as to appeal to a wider audience range. Don't quote me on that...I'm going from memory from several years ago. :) My idea of a Christian history curriculum would be MOH or MFW or Diana Waring...one that intentionally puts God in the center of what happened and speaks of His hand throughout history. In fact, I intentionally chose MOH over SOTW b/c *I* wanted a Christian-based program! I don't know anything obout Hillyers text except what I've heard.

CHOW is also written from a Christian perspective although not overtly religious. That is, it is written by a Christian with the idea that it would be read by Christian children. Bible stories are woven into the chronology. That said, I have not found it to be disrespectful to other religions (I have the revised edition). I prefer secular materials and find this one acceptably neutral but not that much different in terms of perspective than SOTW which we also use.

I've got both CHOW and SOTW vol. 2 here with me now, as a matter of fact. After perusing them, CHOW seems more overtly christian. They both are definitely from a christian view point even if they aren't preachy about it. For example, they both mention the birth of jesus as if it is an indisputable fact. Which for me personally is not particularly palatable. I'm looking for something *very* secular.

They both have some good qualities though, and other than the religion, they would be wonderful books, so I'm still reading through them both to see if I can perhaps use them with some censoring, haven't decided yet. I wish there were more choices for grammar stage secular history.

Just my $ .02.