Menu

Mystery of the World VS Story of the World?

kelfro

Has anyone tried both The Mystery of History and The Story of the World? If so, which one did you like the best and why? I am trying to find a chronological classical history study that has the lessons planned for a 10yo.

Thank you for any help!

We tried both and it was too much. We finally settled on MOH for our spine because I love having Bible history included. We do listen to the SOTW on CD and I much prefer them to the MOH cds.

My ds 11 uses SOTW for summaries and outlining, however, and it is perfect for that.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

My boys thought SOTW Vol. 1 was a little boring, they got antsy having to sit and listen. MOH has shorter and more interesting reading segments. I also like all the Biblical teachings.

We tried both and it was too much. We finally settled on MOH for our spine because I love having Bible history included. We do listen to the SOTW on CD and I much prefer them to the MOH cds.

My ds 11 uses SOTW for summaries and outlining, however, and it is perfect for that.

We also prefer the SOTW cds to the MOH cds.

We started with MOH. If it was just my older two I would stick with it. They love it and so do I. Because I have two youngers we are switching over to SOTW for everybody because I was tired of doing two different histories. My ds9 took MOH up into his room to read on his own though. He loves it too much! I did not purchase MOH 3 though... I don't think I'm fond of the new layout.... LOVE LOVE LOVE the Biblical viewpoint though!

Thank you everyone for your input...it is really helpful! The MOH does look like it will work well for us and the samples of SOTW activities that I saw online looked maybe a bit too young for my son. I am wondering what the CD's are that were mentioned...are they just the stories on tape?

I am wondering what the CD's are that were mentioned...are they just the stories on tape?

You can get all of the SOTW books and MOH books on cds. They are identical to what's in the books. The SOTW cds are much better, in my opinion (and the original ones read by Barbara somebody rather than Jim Weiss). The MOH cds have background music that absolutely drives me crazy and she overuses "...and I quote...". It's a bummer because I would prefer to use them.

The MOH cds have background music that absolutely drives me crazy and she overuses "...and I quote...". It's a bummer because I would prefer to use them.

She's going to offer her readings on MP3s on her site soon... Keep checking... she says they're going to be there!! *with no background music!

:)