Menu

MCT, finish Island or move to Town ?

" move to town" ,, that's funny. ....anyway.

Is there any review of Island/sentence material in the MCT Town level? Here's why i ask,

I didn't discover MCT until mid year and we have been doing Island Level with my 4th grader. We have 3 more weeks of school and I really want to be finished with Island , nice and neat and move to Town Level for 5th,

But we aren't going to be finished. We haven't finished Sentence Island , only completed 20 sentences in Practice Island, done only two stems in Building Language and are half way through the poetry book,, We did finish Grammar Island before doing any of these.

So, would y'all,

just take a chill pill: ( I'm running low on these by April ;-)

and do three more weeks , then just pick up where ever we are at the beginning of 5th,

OR

do 3 more weeks of everything and just start at Town Level with unfinished Island in our past.

OR

concentrate on only a few components for the remianed of the year and finish up say ... poetry and building language next year as we do Grammar Town.

What say ye?

Oh, We are also finishing FLL 3 and 1/2 way through WWE 3 ( behind in these too.. sigh)

In your shoes, I'd just stop where you are and pick it back up in the fall. I'm no MCT expert, but just in general... I think it's worthwhile to finish curriculum materials -- especially if you like it! Otherwise, it just seems like wasted money. And it's not like in 3 months it'll be an inappropriate book for your child. And really, you're teaching your child, not teaching a curriculum or a large class who has expectations of starting on page 1 of a book.

We will be pausing the Island level for the month of June, which is our summer break. We finish out the summer with a light schedule, which will probably mean a few sentences from Practice Island each week, and then will finish up whatever else is left when we start back full-force in September. I like this curriculum too much to skip anything!