Menu

Dr Wayne Dyer...

At the risk of flames, rotten tomatoes, and all other manner of cyber disharmony, I think a lot of his message boils down to, "I can do all things through myself who strengthens me."

FWIW

okay...Truly I am not looking to start a fire storm. Is he controversial?

I have heard his name, but know nothing about him.

Is he just another self help guru?

Here's a quote from him (copied from Wikipedia):

"My belief is that the truth is a truth until you organize it, and then becomes a lie. I don't think that Jesus was teaching Christianity, Jesus was teaching kindness, love, concern, and peace. What I tell people is don't be Christian, be Christ-like. Don't be Buddhist, be Buddha-like."[6]

"Religion is orthodoxy, rules and historical scriptures maintained by people over long periods of time. Generally people are raised to obey the customs and practices of that religion without question. These are customs and expectations from outside the person and do not fit my definition of spiritual."[7]

thanks, I was just trying to figure out if I wanted to read his books. My mom bought a package off of QVC. I scanned thru the book and he does mention Jesus. So you think he believes in Jesus, but not that he was the "son of God"?

Is he just another self help guru?

Pretty much. I don't think he's all that controversial, but as soon as you say something about someone, another person will pop up saying he or she knows the guy, and he's not really like that, and didn't you hear that reading his books helped so-and-so tremendously.... yada yada yada.

I remember reading him as a teen in my pre-Christian days and thinking he had some worthwhile advice. Looking back on it, post-faith, I realized that it was mostly self-actualization. As Christians, we believe that God both changes us and gives us the power and strength to change. It's not a solo proposition—and for that, this girl is glad. :001_smile:

I remember reading him as a teen in my pre-Christian days and thinking he had some worthwhile advice. Looking back on it, post-faith, I realized that it was mostly self-actualization. As Christians, we believe that God both changes us and gives us the power and strength to change. It's not a solo proposition—and for that, this girl is glad. :001_smile:

This was also my conclusion after reading some of his stuff back in the 70's.