Menu

Can you direct me to any Sonlight blogs where moms are doing high school cores? nt

I'm a mom who is doing SL high school cores---dd will be a senior next year doing Core 400 and ds will be 9th staring core 100 :) Also, the Parents of High Schoolers section and Upper Level Cores sections on the SL forums have lots of us mom with high schoolers with most using SL. I say 'most' because some don't use them for many reasons. But we love SL, find it adequate and challenging for high school---not to mention we do love the literature approach to history.

I don't have time to do a Blog though :001_huh: But I sure can try and answer questions if you have them!

I am also using Sonlight High School Cores. S0 far we have used Core 100 and Core 300. I am LOVING the Literature!!! I can try to answer any questions or you can go right to Sonlight's website. They have some kind of Q and A section.

We switched from TOG to Sonlight and I'm having a hard time keeping up with the accountability aspect.

He has taken the books and is reading. Loving the reading no doubt but he's not having a weekly discussion with me at this point.

I was looking for info on how mom's take the student's independent work and hold the kid's accountable for it.

We're new to SL so I'm still figuring out how to do all the reading aloud I'm doing with the youngers. Also, the mapwork is just weird!

Any thoughts?

We are probably going to continue using SL for high school. One mom I know who uses SL for high school offered me this advice on accountability. She has her dd write out the answers to all the questions in the Bible, history and lit guides. I was planning on giving my dd the student sheets, having her write answers in a notebook and then discussing with her once a week. (Similar to TOG, but much less intese.) She would also make tests based on that work.

You are much farther ahead than me, but I just thought I'd share this bit that helped me with the accountability aspect of SL.

I agree on the amount of read alouds - I have fallen behind this year. I will have to finish up over the summer. I also give them the RA as readers, too. I prefer not to b/c we love reading together - but sometimes it's a necessity b/c we have to move forward. Also, I don't use the mapwork - I also found them strange. Core 5 has great mapwork with the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer book, but the other cores just have the maps in the history/read aloud guides. I think I will be adding some Knowledge Quest maps to our core 6 next year.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Edited by sandra in va