Menu

Help me decide-- Pre-Algebra

What would you do for pre-algebra and beyond?  

1. 1. What would you do for pre-algebra and beyond?

• Chalkdust
    • Teaching Textbooks
    • Math U See

I am planning to continue with Math-U-See, simply because we've been using it for years and it seems to work well for my kids. They've done well on their standardized testing each year and now, I supplement with Life of Fred when I feel like supplementing. I have heard too many negative comments about Teaching Textbooks. I may consider Chalkdust if any of my younger children demonstrate more "math-y" abilities than I feel comfortable covering with MUS.

I am planning to continue with Math-U-See, simply because we've been using it for years and it seems to work well for my kids. They've done well on their standardized testing each year and now, I supplement with Life of Fred when I feel like supplementing. I have heard too many negative comments about Teaching Textbooks. I may consider Chalkdust if any of my younger children demonstrate more "math-y" abilities than I feel comfortable covering with MUS.

I keep going through that too... I get REALLLLLY close to deciding on Chalkdust, then I read something bad. That is what I am looking for, what would YOU do and why! Thanks for helping!!!

It really depends on your child and how they learn.

I don't like TT. It is just too far behind in its sequence. We tried it briefly and decided it wasn't for us.

For oldest ds we will stick with MUS. It matches his learning style and math ability well. With MUS he will learn math. That is the most important thing.

Chalkdust is a more rigorous pace than either TT or MUS. It will be at or above PS pace. I've seen a lot of parents post when their children just couldn't follow Chalkdust. My ds can't do the long lectures. We would have to break them up. I would also have to break up and assign problem sets, because again, they are too long (ds has dysgraphia). If it works for you and your child Chalkdust will probably produce the highest math ability in the end. I will probably switch dd to Chalkdust at Algebra or maybe do their pre-algebra after doing MUS pre-algebra.

I think you are far better off with a program that is a good match to your student, than with the most rigorous program that doesn't work.

It really depends on your child and how they learn.

I don't like TT. It is just too far behind in its sequence. We tried it briefly and decided it wasn't for us.

For oldest ds we will stick with MUS. It matches his learning style and math ability well. With MUS he will learn math. That is the most important thing.

Chalkdust is a more rigorous pace than either TT or MUS. It will be at or above PS pace. I've seen a lot of parents post when their children just couldn't follow Chalkdust. My ds can't do the long lectures. We would have to break them up. I would also have to break up and assign problem sets, because again, they are too long (ds has dysgraphia). If it works for you and your child Chalkdust will probably produce the highest math ability in the end. I will probably switch dd to Chalkdust at Algebra or maybe do their pre-algebra after doing MUS pre-algebra.

I think you are far better off with a program that is a good match to your student, than with the most rigorous program that doesn't work.

OK a few questions.. I can not find a TT scope and sequence. I have heard it is far behind. My dd will be done with LOF fractions, decimals and percents this summer and BJU 7th grade fundamentals of math next year before starting Pre-algebra. I have looked at the BJU it has alot of prealgebra in it. SO my quesiton, how "far behind" would you say TT is? After doing BJU fundamentals of math and LOF fractions and decimals, would she be able to do the TT algebra 1?

Also, chalkdust, you said it is a faster pace. Is it able to be slowed down if she needed it for certain topics? She is generally VERY good at her math lessons, but there are times when it just doesnt click right away. So if she got it, would we have to watch the whole lesson to get everything? Or once she got it could we go on? Ok, maybe I said that confusingly. Does it do a whole lot of problems of the same complexity before moving on to more complex? If that was the case would we be able to separate that to different lessons?

You are telling me what I have heard before, but nobody has been able to answer my questions about that and thats why I am so confused. If CD can not be lengthened/shortened to what we need, I might do TT algebra 1 and see how that goes. Im just really confused about this! Thanks to whoever can answer these questions for me!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

OK a few questions.. I can not find a TT scope and sequence. I have heard it is far behind. My dd will be done with LOF fractions, decimals and percents this summer and BJU 7th grade fundamentals of math next year before starting Pre-algebra. I have looked at the BJU it has alot of prealgebra in it. SO my quesiton, how "far behind" would you say TT is? After doing BJU fundamentals of math and LOF fractions and decimals, would she be able to do the TT algebra 1?

Also, chalkdust, you said it is a faster pace. Is it able to be slowed down if she needed it for certain topics? She is generally VERY good at her math lessons, but there are times when it just doesnt click right away. So if she got it, would we have to watch the whole lesson to get everything? Or once she got it could we go on? Ok, maybe I said that confusingly. Does it do a whole lot of problems of the same complexity before moving on to more complex? If that was the case would we be able to separate that to different lessons?

You are telling me what I have heard before, but nobody has been able to answer my questions about that and thats why I am so confused. If CD can not be lengthened/shortened to what we need, I might do TT algebra 1 and see how that goes. Im just really confused about this! Thanks to whoever can answer these questions for me!

My ds tested into TT pre-algebra and found it too easy when he placed into BJU Math 6 - barely. We tried it anyway because a friend offered it to us, but it was just too slow and too far behind.

We did LOF too, then ended up happy with MUS. It seemed to be the happy medium. He works pretty independently. I do watch the videos with him and offer extra explanation if needed. I also grade. It just seems to be the middle ground.

I haven't used chalkdust. I've probably done the same as you, looked at samples, tortured myself with the decision. Ask about Chalkdust specifically on the high school board. There are plenty of people using it that can tell you exactly how they speed it up and slow it down to make it work.

I'll take a stab at these questions...we've used CD Basic Math and are doing Prealg this year. It can definitely be slowed down. It is mastery-based, so each chapter has its own topic and each section of the chapter has its own sub-topic (kwim?). So, each section of the chapter has a video component - yes, sometimes it is long, but if you have trouble with this you can spread it over two days - and usually a ton of problems. So, if your child has trouble, he can watch the video again and do more problems. Often, we have not had to do this - usually just going over that type of problem from the lesson in the book is sufficient to clarify any confusion. Although my 12 yo has had trouble with one particular chapter recently, so I had him just do the whole thing over again. He completed it rather quickly the second time with much more understanding.

I just want to reiterate that each section has its own set of problems (sometimes as many as 200), so you'll have to assign the ones you want your student to work. Evens, odds, or every fourth problem. It still leaves many left over if he needs more practice.

One other way you can slow it down is to take longer to do the program or use it one year "behind". Last year my 7th grader used TT Prealg. This year she is using CD Prealgebra. It is different enough that she is quite challenged, yet the TT did give her a little more preparation (she's not a real math-y kid).

Sorry this got so long, hope something here helps!

My ds tested into TT pre-algebra and found it too easy when he placed into BJU Math 6 - barely. We tried it anyway because a friend offered it to us, but it was just too slow and too far behind.

We did LOF too, then ended up happy with MUS. It seemed to be the happy medium. He works pretty independently. I do watch the videos with him and offer extra explanation if needed. I also grade. It just seems to be the middle ground.

I haven't used chalkdust. I've probably done the same as you, looked at samples, tortured myself with the decision. Ask about Chalkdust specifically on the high school board. There are plenty of people using it that can tell you exactly how they speed it up and slow it down to make it work.

Ok so TT was to easy then you went to BJU 6? So then TT must be really far behind. WOW. Ok. That does help. Thanks! (PLEASE correct me if I got that wrong!)

I'll take a stab at these questions...we've used CD Basic Math and are doing Prealg this year. It can definitely be slowed down. It is mastery-based, so each chapter has its own topic and each section of the chapter has its own sub-topic (kwim?). So, each section of the chapter has a video component - yes, sometimes it is long, but if you have trouble with this you can spread it over two days - and usually a ton of problems. So, if your child has trouble, he can watch the video again and do more problems. Often, we have not had to do this - usually just going over that type of problem from the lesson in the book is sufficient to clarify any confusion. Although my 12 yo has had trouble with one particular chapter recently, so I had him just do the whole thing over again. He completed it rather quickly the second time with much more understanding.

I just want to reiterate that each section has its own set of problems (sometimes as many as 200), so you'll have to assign the ones you want your student to work. Evens, odds, or every fourth problem. It still leaves many left over if he needs more practice.

One other way you can slow it down is to take longer to do the program or use it one year "behind". Last year my 7th grader used TT Prealg. This year she is using CD Prealgebra. It is different enough that she is quite challenged, yet the TT did give her a little more preparation (she's not a real math-y kid).

Sorry this got so long, hope something here helps!

No long is good! Thank you that helped me ALOT! SO if she does have a hard time, we can keep watching the video then doing more new problems. and if she gets it we move on! Thanks!!!! Thats what I was looking for :D

Too soon to know for sure, but I'm thinking Russian Math 6.

That's on the list, right? :D

Bill

No other?

I like Russian Math 6, by Perpendicular Press:

http://www.perpendicularpress.com/math6.html

HUH????? :confused: Russian math?????:confused: Whats that??? :confused: No no no see the point is to help decide not offer more to decide from!!!!! :001_huh:

OK. Im looking. But if this makes my decision harder you will hear from me! :lol:(:D)

Ok going to look at russian math. can I just have her do it all???