Menu

Nan, what sci-fi did you all read

I would classify these as good literature that happens to fall in the catagory of sci-fi or related genres; all of these works would prompt some good discussion and cause you to "dig deeper" into worldview. Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

- Frankenstein (Shelley)

- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Stevenson)

- something by H.G. Wells: The Time Machine; War of the Worlds; Invisible Man

- Farenheit 451 (Bradbury)

- "There Shall Come Soft Rain" short story (Bradbury)

- Flatland (Abbot)

- A Canticle for Lebowitz (Miller)

- short stories from Italio Calvino's "Cosmicomics" -- from an existential worldview

- space trilogy by C.S. Lewis: Out of the Silent Planet; Perelandra; That Hideous Strength

- Brave New World (Huxley)

- Picture of Dorian Gray (Wilde)

- A Wrinkle in Time; A Wind in the Door (L'Engle)

- Animal Farm (Orwell)

- 1984 (Orwell) -- preview first for mature themes

These are considered to be some of "standards" of sci-fi; not as much depth of theme as the list above, but worth considering. Preview the ones marked with (*) for sexuality, crudity or mature content:

- Journey to the Center of the Earth (Verne)

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy*; Restaurant at the End of the Universe* (Adams) --

- Jurassic Park* (Chrichton)

- Dune* (Herbert)

- Left Hand of Darkness* (LeGuin)

- The Lathe of Heaven (LeGuin)

I plan on doing a historical study on sci-fi when my ds is in 7th grade.

We plan on using

20k leagues under the sea

here's a link to an online study of the book http://webpages.charter.net/stoneturtle3/20K/ this was written for a 6th grade level, but might have some great ideas.

Time Machine

Out of the Silent Planet

moving into some studies into Star Trek and Star Wars.

We will also watch some great cultural sci-fi movies, which I have yet to condense the list.

I'm only being horribly nitpicky in case someone goes off to search for this story. It is actually titled "There Will Come Soft Rains."

It's one of my very favorites :)

Along with most of what has been mentioned, we also plan to have our children read Asimov's Foundation trilogy, and, in high school, some of Heinlein's works ... most likely "Stranger In a Strange Land" and "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress." Those works will not appeal to everyone.

Dd studied scif fi lit for a semester. We started using a series on sci fi lit from The Teaching Company, but discontinued it due to the very mature themes addressed by the lecturer. I don't recall the professor's name, so I'm not sure if the lectures on the imaginative mind are by the same person. I would say to just be sure to preview them first before using them with dc.

The cat is on my lap and she hardly ever sits still, since she is still young, and I don't want to disturb her to go check the list.

Dune

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Canticle for Leibowitz

I, Robot

Thomas the Proclaimer

The Eye of the Heron

Farenheit 451

Star Trek books, movies, and TV series

Star Wars movies

Matrix movie (his choice - I know nothing about it except my family has warned me that I probably wouldn't like it)

Starship Trooper (picking out the flaws in his preachy bits GRIN, not that we didn't enjoy the book...)

Gravity Dreams (only because it dealt with nanotechnology, somehting I wanted to cover, NOT because it is well written)

2001: A Space Odyssey (movie)

Ultraviolet (someone gave it to him to read while he was travelling - I know nothing about it)

V is for Vendetta (ditto)

I chose by trying to pick either books that are commonly considered literature (Canticle, 1984) or have authors that were considered scifi "greats" when I was growing up (like LeGuin, Bradbury, Heinlein, Asimov, Silverburg, Clarke).

He'll probably read a few more, also, but if he wants to stop here, it is fine with me. Many of them are rather, ahem, male, so I tried to pick carefully. I'm not overly worried about it, though, so not all of this is clean. I remember skimming over bits of 1984, Dune, and 451 at his age, so if you are trying to avoid certain subjects, you probably want to skip those.

I think scifi is important because it is where the artists (in the form of authors) get to influence the engineers, politicians, etc., who invent the future world we are all going to live in.

-Nan

Guest Korillian

If anyone is interested in Sci-Fi short stories, I would recommend The Science Fiction Hall of Fame. I'm partial to Volume 1A:

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Fiction-Hall-Fame-Vol/dp/0380512017/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206926606&sr=1-12

There is a newer version of this out and from the description it looks like the same stories are included:

A Martian Odyssey -- Stanley G. Weinbaum

Twilight -- John W. Campbell

Helen O'Loy -- Lester del Rey

The Roads Must Roll -- Robert A. Heinlein

Microcosmic God -- Theodore Sturgeon

Nightfall -- Isaac Asimov

The Weapon Shop -- A. E. van Vogt

Mimsy Were the Borogoves -- Lewis Padgett

Huddling Place -- Clifford D. Simak

Arena -- Fredric Brown

First Contact -- Murray Leinster

That Only a Mother -- Judith Merril

Scanners Live in Vain -- Cordwainer Smith

Mars is Heaven -- Ray Bradbury

The Little Black Bag -- C. M. Kornbluth

Born of Man and Woman -- Richard Matheson

Coming Attraction -- Fritz Leiber

The Quest for Saint Aquin -- Anthony Boucher

Surface Tension -- James Blish

The Nine Billion Names of God -- Arthur C. Clarke

It's a Good Life -- Jerome Bixby

The Cold Equations -- Tom Godwin

Fondly Fahrenheit -- Alfred Bester

The Country of the Kind -- Damon Knight

Flowers for Algernon -- Daniel Keyes

A Rose for Ecclesiastes -- Roger Zelazny

These stories are all classics, IMO. Definitely a worthy purchase for anyone who likes science fiction

I can't remember much about it now. Something to reread. I picked I, Robot to represent Asimov because my son reads slowly and I didn't want to spend 3 books on Asimov. I picked Eye of the Heron it deals with pacifism. I picked Dune just because I remember loving it and I thought as a gymnast he would enjoy it. I KNEW he would adore Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a definate not-to-be-missed. I picked 2001, 451 instead of a different Bradbury, and 1984 instead of a different Orwell because they are show up other places. If I were picking for my youngest, I'd pick a different batch, probably. He reads more quickly, and some things, like Hitchiker's, he's probably not going to want to read for school. I'll probably stick with scifi as a substitution for 20th century lit even though he's read quite a bit on his own (unlike my oldest) because I think it is worth reading, discussing, and thinking about. I think it is closer to "great books" than lots of other 20th century non-greats. Its purpose generally is to explore possibilities and make people think, like many of the greats, less to entertain.

-Nan