Menu

CLP Spelling and Phonics

ProudGrandma

I've used the four beginning readers from CLP to teach my first 6 to read so far. It's simple and works. We read some Bob books and other beginning readers along the way and work through some index cards I made with phonograms based on An Acorn in My Hand.

That's about it! I've not used the spelling program. Wait. If the spelling program is a set of workbooks, I think I did try it waaaaayyy back. I didn't like it and moved on to Spelling Power for one dc and now use Sequential Spelling for another.

HTH,

Lisa

I have used both their spelling and phonics. I like the 4 readers, but they are advanced. It isn't cvc words. The kindergarten readers get pretty advanced by the 4th book. The Adventures in Phonics series is good, but it is also advanced. The AIP A book is really good and the kindergarten phonics I would highly recommend. AIP B has features that make me less likely to recommend. Mainly the small spaces they give for writing.

We moved to MCP phonics b/c of the speed of AIP and to accomodate my son's motor skills and handwriting.

I have done the 3rd and 4th grade spelling with my dd's this year. I really dislike it. They don't like them either. It doesn't really follow any rhyme or reason or patterns with the words.

We are moving to spelling workout and wordly wise for next year.

I used their reading for 1st and its a bit fast paced but doable. Their phonics workbooks are good but you may have to split the work in half because it can be a lot of writing for a child that isn't writing much. If you have a child that doesn't have issues with writing then it shouldn't be a problem.

I like their spelling program, its a little advanced for children who aren't great spellers.If you have an average to struggling speller I would go one grade level below. If you have a great speller on your hands then go with the grade level.

I think for the price they are good.