Menu

Saxon Math ???

misidawnrn

I just bought the saxon math 1 for DD for the rest of this year and next. She used Saxon K when she was in school and she is pretty good at math already. Do you have to have the manipulatives that come with it or can you just use other things to count? right now she is using little pompoms that came about 80 in a package or she makes little dots next the the big numbers that she needs to count.

I just don't want to have to spend the money if I don't have to and my books aren't here yet.

THanks!

I have used...

beans

popsicle sticks (these are GREAT for place value - make bundles of 10 and then they can take them apart for ones, which really helps them understand the whole concept)

m&m's

legos (great substitute for linking cubes)

wooden blocks

"pattern blocks" made of construction paper (like tangrams)

I don't think buying the manipulatives is at all necessary!

For Saxon 1-3 I bought a geo board, borrowed a scale, and used stuff around the house I think for the rest. Mostly we used Legos, M&Ms, and money. We used money for place value extensively-pennies, dimes and dollar bills. I kept a container of $4-5 in pennies, $2-3 in dimes and a few dollar bills. It probably added up to about $15, but don't have to worry about selling it when we're done. I'll just spend it.:001_smile:

No. There are patterns for the geoboard and pattern blocks i believe in the Saxon 1 manual. You can copy those and trace them on some fun foam or something. the Geoboard you can use the print out for or make one of your own with wood and some nails. Really if you have something that does the same job just use it :>)

great, thanks ladies. I was hoping I could just use stuff around the house! I love the M&M idea. DD and I just had a healthy choices discussion today at the store about always asking for candy and we need to try yummy better things and that candy would only be a special treat, so M&M's would fit that well!

She really likes the fluffy pompom balls I got. I like the popsicle stick idea too. I could mark ten spaces on them for blocks of 10. I am glad I don't have to spend the extra money on manipulatives. I also plan on using real money when we get there instead of play money. She might as well learn with the real thing, right?