Menu

How many are using CLE math 7 as pre-algebra?

Penny

We hope to get through both CLE 7 and CLE 8 before we do algebra. I chose it for three main reasons:

1) My daughter can do it mostly independently (I help when needed, not everyday or even every lesson).

2) It's thorough and spiral.

3) It was inexpensive.

Edited by Jen+4dc
clarity

Jen,

Do you feel CLE 8 is necessary? Are you doing CLE a year ahead or will you begin Alg in 9th?

I though more folks were using CLE 7 as prealgebra. It certainly looks acceptable to me as I compare it to Lial's BCM or Larson.

THanks for the response.

I didn't decide to use CLE math 7 as pre-algebra but that's what it is. I decided to switch to CLE math 5 after buying & looking at CLE math 5-7. I've already purchased Saxon alg. 1 and the Art Reed DVD's to use for grade 8 (Sept).

I would not recommend CLE math 7 ONLY. It's an incremental math program that I think would be hard to jump into for only one year, unlike mastery programs like R&S or BJU.

Jen,

Do you feel CLE 8 is necessary? Are you doing CLE a year ahead or will you begin Alg in 9th?

I though more folks were using CLE 7 as prealgebra. It certainly looks acceptable to me as I compare it to Lial's BCM or Larson.

THanks for the response.

My dd is in 7th right now. We'll finish up CLE 7 and 8 hopefully before we go into algebra. We're going to work right through the summer because I really want her to do alg 1 before 9th grade. But, she'll probably be going back to ps for high school (her choice, not mine, but that could change.....). If she goes back to ps we'll see what they expect/offer. If she decides to stay at home we'll just keep working at her pace year round (math is the only thing I don't allow real breaks from) until she gets done with math (alg 1 & 2 geo & trig, maybe to some pre-calc) before heading off to college!

I tried TT and it didn't work for this dd. I tried Lial's BCM and it about killed us both! (Hated standing at the white board teaching and she hated learning from the white board, we go there for necessary help/explanations only now). We may try alg 1 (Jacobs) without CLE 8, we'll see after she finishes CLE 7.

HTH

This thread has made me question my recent purchase of Math 8. This year we took Math 7 through Florida VIrtual School. I did not even consider Math 7 (CLE) for next year. Well I just recieved our Math 8 and it is really advanced. So, this thread has made me go back to the CLE website and take a look at Math 7. I decided to purchase the second half of math 7 (LU 706-710). I think this will get us ready for Math 8.

I am not sure what we are going to use after Math 8, does anyone have any suggestions? Suggestions do not have to be CLE.

I am using CLE 7 with dd because we've used grades 4-6. We had tried several other programs and all met with tears and frustration. CLE has made math her favorite subject, to the point that she has done levels 6 and 7 this year (of her own choice) SO THAT she can do Algebra 1 next year with Teaching Textbooks. We will be going it because it has a reputation for being gentle and I don't want to spoil what CLE has accomplished. If for any reason TT doesn't work out for us, we will jump right back to CLE 8 to give her one more year before we do Algebra with Saxon (most likely), but we had a bad experience with Saxon when she was younger, so it's not the first choice for us (out of fear).