Menu

Science- 2nd grade

4dkids

Any recommendations for Science curriculum for a 2nd grader?

We use RightStart math and All About Spelling. We're still trying to figure out our reading. Ds struggles with reading. We are using Click n Read and Time4learning.

Thanks

4dkids

Do you want to study a certain science, such as life science, all year, or would you prefer a variety throughout the year?

We did mostly physical science this year for 1st. I really enjoyed RS4K's Pre-Level 1 Chemistry (for grades K-3). I also used several workbooks from the Funtastic Frog series. These covered physics topics for K-2. I can find math books for the frogs, but not any of the science online. I bought my books at a Dollar General 2 years ago.

My 2nd grader is doing Life Science this year, and we are just going with WTM way - reading about animals etc, doing a notebook page, observing and collecting creatures etc. Enchanted Learning has print out sheets, coloring pages, and life cycle spinny things to make, and we are using those as well. It's going great.

Just another option :)

Ummm, which one do you want? For next year, I have stashed away:

R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, Earth Science

E=mc2 Earth Science

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

Bear in mind that my DS is a science nut. I asked him yesterday to tell me how many body parts an insect has - just to see what he had retained from the beginning of the year - and he told me, "Head, thorax, and abdomen, and a spider only has two, the abdomen and the cephalothorax." He then proceeded to go into detail about other differences between the two types of arthropods. When fall comes, I will let him pick which curriculum he wants to start with and see where he wants to go from there.

we love apologia, zoology series. we did flying creatures and swimming creatures (and will do land animals over the summer, if i'm so motivated) for 2nd grade. kids beg more when i'm falling asleep on the book. they like the activities and the notebook pages.

if you are not a christian and are a believer in evolution, this series is not for you.

Edited by Hedgehogs4
it's late. too much wine, too many typos.

We're doing topical studies on Insects, Rocks and Minerals, Wildflowers and devoting 12 solid weeks to finishing off BSFU K-2. I'm forgetting one topic.

I do recommend Elemental Science. It looks soo good and interesting.