Menu

Math ? Has anyone done this?

I am wondering if anyone has combine Singapore Primary Math (U.S. Ed.) with something like Abeka Math Drill/Test book. Are there any [inexpensive] drill/test books that might mesh well with Singapore? My dd likes that Singapore is mastery, but she needs spiral for weekly/bi-weekly reviews and having drills already made for me is NICE!

TIA

:DI also do horizons math with my dd. (I have 1 doing singapore right now) That is an amazing combination because horizons is spiral so she does not forget the facts she learns in singapore! We do math all year long (not all school,just math so they do not forget their math facts), but its really not alot. It seemed like it would be before we started this but I will never go back to singapore alone! My dd likes it too! She LOVES horizons! (and likes singapore)

I use Singapore and for review I have my son do the CWP a year behind. If he needed more review, I'd add the extra practice book and cycle it in maybe a month behind. For facts practice I have him do flashcards and worksheets I get off the internet. Oh, and the mental math in the back of the HIG is great for more complicated facts practice.

There is also something called Daily Math Practice from Evan-Moor that has five or so problems per day on various topics for review. Here's the link: http://www.evan-moor.com/Series.aspx?CurriculumID=4&SeriesID=37

I do that!! :D The topics are not covered in the same order, and are sometimes presented differently, but if your dc can do singapore they can handle the abeka tests, quizzes and speed drills booklet for sure! Infact I do the test booklet a year ahead in abeka because it was more review for them at grade level.

That's great to hear! Since you do a year ahead in Abeka, are there new topics covered in the test? Do you just skip them or teach them as they come up?

:DI also do horizons math with my dd. (I have 1 doing singapore right now) That is an amazing combination because horizons is spiral so she does not forget the facts she learns in singapore! We do math all year long (not all school,just math so they do not forget their math facts), but its really not alot. It seemed like it would be before we started this but I will never go back to singapore alone! My dd likes it too! She LOVES horizons! (and likes singapore)

Thanks! Does Horizons have a test book or do you have to buy the whole program?

I use Singapore and for review I have my son do the CWP a year behind. If he needed more review, I'd add the extra practice book and cycle it in maybe a month behind. For facts practice I have him do flashcards and worksheets I get off the internet. Oh, and the mental math in the back of the HIG is great for more complicated facts practice.

There is also something called Daily Math Practice from Evan-Moor that has five or so problems per day on various topics for review. Here's the link: http://www.evan-moor.com/Series.aspx?CurriculumID=4&SeriesID=37

Thanks!

:confused: What is CWP?

Thanks! Does Horizons have a test book or do you have to buy the whole program?

I just do the horizons workbooks and the TE. You will need the TE because the directions are in that. (I have NEVER bought a brand new TE, you can usually find them around $20 used) We dont test with horizons, so to be honest I dont know if there are tests for it. I just do that for the spiral review.

That's great to hear! Since you do a year ahead in Abeka, are there new topics covered in the test? Do you just skip them or teach them as they come up?

There has only been 1 time I had to actually teach her a concept that was new in Abeka, after 2B, Abeka is about a year (maybe 6 months) behind singapore. That 1 time it was on a quiz I did teach it to her when we came to it then I did the abeka quiz the next day. IF there has been other times something a little unfamiliar has come up she has been able to figure it out thinking the way singapore teaches. So I do it that way so she has that little bit of a challenge and I find it works GREAT! :D