Menu

Questions about EG 5 & 6

HSMom2One

I confess, grammar is not my favorite subject in the world. We do include grammar of course, but we practically go at a snail's pace. My dd has a pretty good handle on the subject despite this, so I'm not really worried about it.

This year we have been working our way through Easy Grammar 5, which corresponds with her grade level. After using teacher intensive SE for two years previously I really thought we'd move faster through EG when we started last fall - yet we are not. At this point we are not even halfway through the book and there is no way we will be done by the end of June when I had planned for us to "officially" be done with 5th grade studies.

If you have used EG for both 5th and 6th grade, I would love to read your suggestions on what I should do next. For one thing, how different are the two grade levels? Would you suggest that we just keep going through the same book we are in when we pick up with 6th grade, or should we jump up to 6th grade level?

Thanks in advance for any pointers you may have.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I used both EG Grade 5 and Grade 6 this year. By the middle of the year I just started having my 5th grader do the work with the 6th grader.

I did not see that much of a difference that it was worth it to me to teach essentially the same lesson twice a day. My 5th grader didn't miss a beat and to be honest the thought of her having to go through almost the same lessons the next year made me cringe.

My opinion would be to just start in the 6th grade book when you start back to school. You will probably zip through the first half of the book because there really isn't that much new material. The sentences are a little more complex but not by much. The preposition list is exactly the same.

I was going to sell my Grade 6 teacher manual. PM me if you are interested or if you have any specific questions that I can answer for you.

I used both EG Grade 5 and Grade 6 this year. By the middle of the year I just started having my 5th grader do the work with the 6th grader.

I did not see that much of a difference that it was worth it to me to teach essentially the same lesson twice a day. My 5th grader didn't miss a beat and to be honest the thought of her having to go through almost the same lessons the next year made me cringe.

My opinion would be to just start in the 6th grade book when you start back to school. You will probably zip through the first half of the book because there really isn't that much new material. The sentences are a little more complex but not by much. The preposition list is exactly the same.

I was going to sell my Grade 6 teacher manual. PM me if you are interested or if you have any specific questions that I can answer for you.

Thank you, Aime. Your post confirmed my suspicions. I'm really torn about whether or not to stay with the same 5th grade book. One part of me keep saying, "Save money and stay with the book you have."

:lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

My vote would be to finish the one you're using, then use Daily Grams the next year, followed by Easy Grammar Plus.

When my 11yo did EG, she did three pages a day; sometimes she was oozing out of her chair by the end, lol, but she got through it. I wanted us to finish EG in a year, and so it was just something I made sure we did.

I spent some time looking at the two books I have and I'm going to change my opinion and agree with Ellie. Save yourself the money and just finish the book you have. I honestly couldn't find anything that different between the two in the latter part of the books. The 6th grade book teaches the exact same concepts with only slightly more in depth explanations in some areas. Anything she misses could easily be picked up in the Easy Grammar Plus. Although I looked at the samples for Easy Grammar Plus and they didn't look to be anymore complex than the pages in the 5th grade book.:confused:

My dc hate, hate, hate beating a dead horse. Once they master a concept they want to move on with only light review to keep things fresh.

Ellie and Aime -- you have made my day! Thank you so much for your input. And thank you, Aime, for taking the time to look through your books tonight.

I think your advice is perfect, and that is what I will plan to do.

Blessings,

Lucinda