Menu

Anyone use Jump In writing program by Apologia??

I bought jump in to use next year. I LOVE what I see. Although we have not started it, I really think this is going to be amazing!

They start by learning and using opinions. Then they move on to exposition. They learn the basics of an exposition then they use it to write a biography, a book report, a book response, a newspaper article, a how-to and to compare and contrast. That is the bulk. Then they move on to a description, narration and poetry. Then in the teachers companion they have 10 minute writing plunges on various topics. You have you dc write for 10 minutes on that topic then put it away. They do that 4 days a week then choose their favorite and go through and complete it, and do the editing/revising/publishing process :D

Any other questions feel free to ask!

I am using it this year with my 11 and 12 y/o boys. We started the year with CW Homer, there was a mutiny mid-year and we changed to Jump In. They love it and have turned out some pretty good papers. It's broken down into small steps that don't overwhelm my reluctant writer.

Overall, I am very happy with it. I will use it again for middle school with my younger son.

I started this with dd10 in the fall and she loved it-but then she became very very ill (chronic Lyme) and we had to stop. She asked about it, even during her sickest point, and I promised we would do it next fall.

It breaks it down into doable steps and gets them engaged; covers many types of writing. It is exactly what I was looking for in a writing program!

My 6th grade dd started Jump In this spring. It is exactly what she needs - more of the opinion and essay type writing (she does a lot of creative writing on her own and would be happy if I would just let her do that).

I like it - it guides the student through the writing process step-by-step. She really hated it at first (writing her opinions about things was "too personal", and other times she couldn't even come up with an idea for the assignment). Now she's doing it with much less struggle and no complaints, which is good progress considering she's only been doing it about 6 weeks. We're definitely going to keep on with it - I hope she'll eventually like it - but...even if she never likes it, she needs to learn those types of writing, and Jump In presents it very well.

Blessings,

Laura

I just got it and haven't opened it yet. I bought the teacher book too...The Lifeguard's Locker...I haven't taught her writing before, so I hope this is easy for her to learn and me to teach! She is not a good writer, despite all the grammar and spelling she has learned. She is creative, though, so hopefully Jump In! will pull everything together for her. :)

Pie