Menu

LLATL Questions on how to use

I am a little confused. We just got the yellow book and the go along books that go with it. What are these books "The White Stallion", "Madeline", etc. for? I thought they were incorporated into the lessons? I can't find them anywhere. Are they meant for the child to read themselves? If not how are they supposed to be used?

I am also confused on how much to do each day. I thought they broke the lesson into days and it looks like it would be six days if that is the case. How is it supposed to be broken up? Do you do a page a day and have school on saturday too?

Thanks,

Micah

If memory serves me correctly (ds used Yellow last year), the go-along books can be read by the child instead of the stories that are included in the book already. I can't remember the names, but there was one about a horse and one about a French girl named Marie that was included in the student book? I think that there are questions in that section that would pertain to the go-along books as well.

As for the number of days, ds always finished in 5 days. I think I might have had him double up one day if the lesson was short? And some of the lessons are very short so it wouldn't be a problem to double up. Sorry my memory is a bit fuzzy. HTH a little!

Thanks!

I think I figured it out with your help :)

But is the child really supposed to read half of the "Meet George Washington" book in one sitting? That seems like an aweful lot of reading to me. In the literature link in lesson 18 it says to read half of the story today... WOW! Maybe it is because we are doing it with an advanced 2nd grade reader... but that still seems like a ton of reading even for a 3rd grader?

Each lesson is broken up for daily use with #1 (Monday), #2 (Tuesday), etc. Each lesson goes up to a #5, each number for a school day.

I found that some days there seemed to be very little to do and so we would forge ahead and do more.

If you have the teacher's book, you can see that you have two options when it comes to the literature link when you get to Lesson 6. (At least that is what my book has). You can have the student read The White Stallion, half today, half tomorrow. There are questions to go with that book. Or read Tilda the Troublemaker, which I assume is in the student book. (I can't find my yellow student book).

As part of that lesson there are, for example, horse vocabulary words to look up in a dictionary, a storytelling exercise, and an oral description of a horse exercise.

Most of the literature is readily available at the library. I never bought the extra books.

I hope this helps.:)

I can't remember how long The White Stallion is, so I can't tell you the answer to your question, should you have gone with the red book instead?

You will know if it is too much of a struggle. If you can sit with her while she reads or as she does the lessons, you'll know.;)

The red book is pretty easy, IMO, even for an average 2nd grader. If your son is advanced the Yellow Book 'should' be okay for him. Just take the reading slower if 1/2 the book is too much at once. He could easily keep doing the Lit study while doing the next lessons, kwim? Or, you could take turns reading with him. My son always like to do that.

Once again, to everyone who chimed in.

Sue, you make it sound so simple :) Why didn't I just think of that. I think sometimes I get so caught up in the curriculum I forget that we make the choices based on our childs need and aren't a slave to the curriculum. Gotta keep that in mind!

I think he would love it if we were to split up the reading and have him read some and I will read some to him... great idea. I think I may have to have him do a little less writing than is in the book as well. The spelling seems right on target or a little easy as does the vocab... so I guess I may have to tweak some of it to fit his needs anyways.

I don't know why I didn't see that the lessons were split by numbers for the days... duh! I think I must have been really tired or something ;) As soon as it was pointed out to me it was very easy to see... lol

Well, thanks everyone... I just LOVE this board!!!