Menu

Cuisenaire Rods

Anyone try these connecting ones? I'm wondering if the are the same size as the non connectiong rods. Or do you prefer them not to connect? I'll be using them with K-6th grade children over the summer (10 kids). I also found magnetic rods. Any thoughts on those?

Thanks!

I'm suprised no-one has chimed in yet. I'll give it a whirl.

No, I haven't tried those rods although I've seen them at a local store. Yes, they are the same size. I do not like the connectors. I prefer the smooth rods. With 10 kids, you'll want a lot of rods. I think magnetic rods are for classroom demonstration use up on a magnetic board, not for use by the kids themselves.

I don't see any point or profit to the connecting ones. Plus Bill (spy car) usually has good advice with math. We have used both c-rods & MUS rods. The MUS rods are scored, but that doesn't mean kids always count. One of mine did, and the c-rods were perfect for him. He used them a bit with Miquon and quite a bit with Singapore Math. He has reverted to counting in the past, because I told him not to (silly me--he hadn't thought of it, I don't think, but he may have asked about why we used the rods.) He's not normally a child who does things just to do the opposite of what I said, but when it comes to math facts he can be rather contrary (but does it with humour.)

Edited by Karin

I'm suprised no-one has chimed in yet. I'll give it a whirl.

No, I haven't tried those rods although I've seen them at a local store. Yes, they are the same size. I do not like the connectors. I prefer the smooth rods. With 10 kids, you'll want a lot of rods. I think magnetic rods are for classroom demonstration use up on a magnetic board, not for use by the kids themselves.

:iagree:

The connectors would just bet in the way and the scoring undermines an advantage of the rods (which is they can't be "counted").

"Classic" Cuisenaire Rods are neither scored or linking, and there are good reasons for that which you will see when you use them. These new ones are a "marketing invention" and go against the spirit of Georges Cuisenaire's creation, which work brilliantly just as designed.

I would second getting a "Small Group Set" (155 pieces) as this will extend the usefulness of the rods. A set of base-10 flats are a nice companion.

Bill

I would second getting a "Small Group Set" (155 pieces) as this will extend the usefulness of the rods.

I think you'll want far more than a single "small group set" for 10 kids. I have two kids sharing two "starter sets" which is more rods than a single small group set. Then again, my kids like to build fun stuff with the rods. You don't need as many rods/kid as I have but the more rods, the more fun.

A set of base-10 flats are a nice companion.

Bill likes to recommend a set of base-10 flats. I say take that a step further and get an entire base-10 set which will give you more 1-units, more 10-rods, plus 100-flats, and a 1000-cube.

:iagree:

The connectors would just bet in the way and the scoring undermines an advantage of the rods (which is they can't be "counted").

"Classic" Cuisenaire Rods are neither scored or linking, and there are good reasons for that which you will see when you use them. These new ones are a "marketing invention" and go against the spirit of Georges Cuisenaire's creation, which work brilliantly just as designed.

I would second getting a "Small Group Set" (155 pieces) as this will extend the usefulness of the rods. A set of base-10 flats are a nice companion.

Bill

Are these the Base-10 flats? Just double checking :) I also have the MUS blocks from our MUS days. Would those work as base-10? Not using all the MUS blocks just the 10 flats.

Thanks!

I think you'll want far more than a single "small group set" for 10 kids. I have two kids sharing two "starter sets" which is more rods than a single small group set. Then again, my kids like to build fun stuff with the rods. You don't need as many rods/kid as I have but the more rods, the more fun.

Bill likes to recommend a set of base-10 flats. I say take that a step further and get an entire base-10 set which will give you more 1-units, more 10-rods, plus 100-flats, and a 1000-cube.

Thank you, I'll look into the entire set.

Oops! You are absolutely right. I missed that it was for 10 kids. I thought it was for a single child (or two). Sorry.

Bill

Are these the Base-10 flats? Just double checking :) I also have the MUS blocks from our MUS days. Would those work as base-10? Not using all the MUS blocks just the 10 flats.

Thanks!

Yes those are the flats. However instead of paying $23.99 CDB also has these for $9.29. Same thing :D

http://www.christianbook.com/blue-plastic-base-ten-components-flats/pd/7350926?item_code=WW&netp_id=285464&event=ESRCN&view=details

These work every well when demonstrating place value relationships concretely with flats being 100s, Orange C Rod as 10s, and the rest of the C Rods serving as Units. They are all the same "scale" (based on centimeters) where the MUS blocks are based on half-inches, so you wouldn't want to mix them.

Bill

Yes those are the flats. However instead of paying $23.99 CDB also has these for $9.29. Same thing :D

http://www.christianbook.com/blue-plastic-base-ten-components-flats/pd/7350926?item_code=WW&netp_id=285464&event=ESRCN&view=details

These work every well when demonstrating place value relationships concretely with flats being 100s, Orange C Rod as 10s, and the rest of the C Rods serving as Units. They are all the same "scale" (based on centimeters) where the MUS blocks are based on half-inches, so you wouldn't want to mix them.

Bill

Wow! Big difference in price. Thanks!