Menu

Foriegn language....dual college...?? (Indiana)

Hello

I was going to have my son take the SOS Spanish all the way through per Jean's suggestion from here. However a local homeschool mom who put 4 of her kids through college told me and others never to do any foreign language at home. She said to do it through dual enrollment at colleges. So I am a bit confused.....

I really do not want to do this because:

1) it costs a lot of money to do this through IUPUI. There are no discounts or anything to do this at the high school level. We will have to pay admission fee and regular tuition as if he is going there for college.

2) I really do not want him there with adults.

Do you see a problem with doing For. Language at home? Has it been an issue with colleges?

Holly

Do you see a problem with doing For. Language at home?

No, I don't see any problem with it. I have never heard of it being a problem from the college admissions standpoint, but there may be an odd school out there that would have a problem with it.

For us, though, we went with dual enrollment because we just couldn't get foreign language done at the high school level. It was a subject that kept being pushed back because I didn't feel comfortable teaching it. We tried several different programs in the hope that one of them would be easy to implement. But, alas, not here. Our dual enrollment program is fantastic! Both of my oldest boys have been able to take their foreign language courses at our local university - Spanish taught by a native speaker/South American. I could never have taken them through the same experience. Dual enrollment here is tuition free - we pay fees and book costs. For us, dual enrollment for foreign language is the only way to go. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it will still be available for the younger two when they need it.

If you can get it done at home, I think that's great!