Menu

Another Math Question.. Anyone plan on using Teaching Textbooks 3 this year?

I noticed that Teaching Textbooks will have 3rd grade ready and out by May of this year...

It is for 7-9 year olds and I wanted opinions toward the program if you use it, or know of someone who does?

I thought I had narrowed it down to CLE math for my upcoming 3rd grader until I saw this, and then Math U See...

Wow, I am having the hardest decision with Math curriculum.. everything else so far as been a breeze compared to trying to figure out with Math approach would work best..

Love to hear your opinions..

I'm assuming you are wanting general thoughts on Teaching Textbooks as opposed to thoughts on TT 3 since it is not out yet. TT has worked *pretty* well for us. Our main math, though, is MUS. I just have them do TT on their own for exposure to more of a variety of topics. The main thing that has been a problem for us with TT is that they don't give a lot of practice with a concept at one time. The practice is there, but it is spread out, if that makes sense. So, we do MUS with it because it is mastery based and provides the practice with the basic skills that are so important. We used TT7 and TT4 this past year. We will continue to use it except that beginning with Pre-Algebra, we will do a MUS and LOF combination. Clear as mud? :D

I've ordered TT3 and am looking forward to its arrival. My two oldest already use TT. It's good for us - very independent (I need this), incremental with lots of review (some of my kids need this), and computer-based (the one who'll be doing TT3 really enjoys that format).

We use CLE for language arts and reading, and are very pleased with it. From the samples I've seen of their math program, it looks just as good. I went with TT because it was the best fit for my 2nd and 6th graders (it didn't matter for my 3rd grader, either one would have worked for her). I just wanted everyone doing the same program so I could reuse it.

Blessings,

Laura

Thank you for your answers.... Im stumped. Still. I guess when I read and re-read all I have seen on here about all the Math Curriculums, I start to confuse myself lol....

I havent made a decision, but I may use TT as supplement to whichever one I chose.

Ugggghhh Math curriculum has been the hardest decision... blah.

Maybe its because I am not a math whiz...?:001_huh:

Make sure you have your child take the placement test! TT levels are levels, not grades. They often vary from other programs who go strictly by grade! Your child may do better in a different Level, try the Placement Test and make sure you get the right level before ordering!

I really like TT when it's at the level my child needs! Wish they wouldn't have made it so confusing!

Make sure you have your child take the placement test! TT levels are levels, not grades. They often vary from other programs who go strictly by grade! Your child may do better in a different Level, try the Placement Test and make sure you get the right level before ordering!

I really like TT when it's at the level my child needs! Wish they wouldn't have made it so confusing!

Good to know!! thank you so much!!!:)

I have a daughter using TT4. She does it 4 days a week along with one other math work, including Miquon (despite the fact that I can't quite figure it out :)), Timez Attack, Flashmaster, multiplication review cards, and a dry erase multiplication board.

My other daughter is in TT6, she supplements with Life of Fred.

I agree with a pp, take the placement test, neither of my kids are in their grade level.

• 2 weeks later...
I've ordered TT3 and am looking forward to its arrival.

Oooooh! I didn't realize it was available to order now. I am planning on using TT3 for my 9yo.

We are using TT4, TT6, TT7, and TT Pre-Algebra already and we have been very happy with them. My only quibble with TT is that once you start Pre-Algebra there is no gradebook built in to the program.

I think it is a good program and my kids enjoy having a new teacher. :)

I too have a hard time when it comes to math. I was thinking of switching my math-hating daughter from Singapore to Teaching Textbooks next year. I thought maybe having someone else explain it to her besides me, might make things click more for her. But when I look at Teaching Textbooks, some of it looks too easy. I had her complete a placement test, and she would be in the TT4 level even though she will be just finishing up Singapore 2B. Does anyone have any opinions on if it might be a good fit?

I'm going to be using TT starting in the fall (we're starting with TT5, we've been using Oak Meadow up through this year).

My daughter and I (who are by no means math whizzes either) are both very excited about and looking forward to using TT. I love everything about it from what I've previewed so far.

I know some people say it seems like it might be too easy. It seems grade-appropriate to me and it seems like they are making it "easy" because they demonstrate it so well! I love how clearly everything is explained, how they will tell you AND show you step by step exactly how to do each problem and get answers if necessary, there's no way that any textbook would ever be able to make things so clear to us- and there's no way that I'd ever be able to make things so clear to her by trying to decipher FROM a math text book...

hence, the decision to go with TT. I don't feel like math has to be hard to be effective math, not if it's explained and demonstrated so well, and I will not be supplementing with other math curricula on top of TT... and I have to say my daughter is actually excited to start this program- and I have never seen her excited about math before lol.

So yes I kind of AM hoping that this makes things "easy"- for both of us- this coming year! :)