Menu

What if you can't do Challenge B (Classical Conversations)

Complicated situation, but boils down to the fact that, although my DD is doing Challenge A, I don't think we will be in an area that has a Challenge B program. If you couldn't do the B, what would you do instead? :confused:

Dh, DD, and I all really like the program.

See, that's the problem, we're in the process of a workman comp. settlement. It should happen before fall. At which time we will move from here in Illinois, to TN- The Johnson City area. Right now there is no CC program period. I'm not the director type, and certainly not the Challenge director type!

See, that's the problem, we're in the process of a workman comp. settlement. It should happen before fall. At which time we will move from here in Illinois, to TN- The Johnson City area. Right now there is no CC program period. I'm not the director type, and certainly not the Challenge director type!

How close to Asheville, NC will you be? There is one there that had B this year. It used to take me an hour to get from where we lived in Buncombe County to JC. It's a pain to drive though, so maybe you could live closer rather than further. ;)

Also, you can email the State Director and ask if there has been any interest in your area.

hth,

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC
typos

Late reply- sorry-

I'm not sure just how far as the only thing for sure- is that DH wants to go to college in TN. (We hate it here in IL) And TN is the only state that you can go to and receive aid w/o living there for a couple years first.

If I couldn't do B, I think I'd look seriously at My Father's World Ancients at the high school level because I like their selections and it's scheduled day-by-day. If you didn't have too many problems with Challenge A, I believe you could do the Ancient History one if you paced it reasonably (maybe take more than a year?). They also have schedules for Apologia, so that would leave only math and Latin. You might consider using Helne I for Latin with the Memoria Press schedule, and then math would have to be up to you.

That's my back-up plan. I'd love for mine to get through at least Challenge II, and it looks like our area will support that as long as I can keep coming up with the $. Then we'd either do the community college or My Father's World 9th if I couldn't get to a Challenge III. Not sure after that?

Edited by GVA

If I wasn't doing Challenge with my daughter, I'd look into doing Lone Pine Classical for Latin... I love what I see of Lingua Latina.... I'd think about doing the suggested program... but seeing if there are other students to share it with. Free is good... and students that you study with... can become friends:)

:)