Menu

Complete Writer / WWE help?

redsnapper

I'm starting home schooling with my 2nd & 4th grade kids next year and am gathering our curriculum.

In looking at WWE/Complete Writer, I'm confused. On Amazon it consistently groups three books together, yet the "workbook" pages refer to a student book that I don't see in the trio offered.

How do these books work together and what am I supposed to need to teach my kids?

-First Language Lessons

-First Language Lessons Student Workbook

-the work book for Writing With Ease

-The Complete Writer Fundamentals (the teachers text?)

The workbooks aren't necessary, but helpful. I'm not using the workbook for WWE2, but I'm going to use both FLL3 and WWE3 workbooks next year. Currently there aren't workbooks for FLL1/2, but I know a revision is coming out for fall '10, not sure if that will include workbooks or not.

The chart on page 8 of the catalog may help you figure it all out. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/media/downloads/pdfs/php_2009_catalog.pdf

Hope I somehow manged to answer your question. :tongue_smilie:

In looking at WWE/Complete Writer, I'm confused. On Amazon it consistently groups three books together, yet the "workbook" pages refer to a student book that I don't see in the trio offered.

Fundamentals is a text that covers the philosphy and methodolgy of WWE through all four levels. It also has sample lessons for each stage in each level. It's good to get an overview of the program, for placement, and to see where the program's going.

The workbooks have complete lessons and student pages for one level. At the front are scripted pages for the teacher to read; at the back are lined sheets for each lesson. I actually have the spine cut off mine and separately bound - more manageable that way.

You don't need both books. If you want to use your own selections, you only need the textbook; if you want it all laid out for you, you only need the workbook. If you want to use the workbook but want to see an overview or use for placement, the text is available from many libraries.

Thanks, ladies...

But how does the First Language Lessons fit in with the WWE workbook?

These are two separate and independent programs. FLL is primarily grammar and WWE is primarily dictation/writing/narration. There is some overlap of skills at times, but they are intended to be used separately and independent of each other.

I agree that they are separate programs. Don't worry about overlap. We were always on par with FLL but b/c of dyslexia/dysgraphia, 'behind' in WWE.

I would state that the WWE workbooks are absolutely necessary unless you're interested in finding your own passages and creating your own curriculum based on her template.

the WWE text only has approx 10 lessons per level. Then you need to move either to the workbooks or create your own. It is the text book that you do not need unless you need the four year road map.

:)

K

I would state that the WWE workbooks are absolutely necessary unless you're interested in finding your own passages and creating your own curriculum based on her template.

the WWE text only has approx 10 lessons per level. Then you need to move either to the workbooks or create your own. It is the text book that you do not need unless you need the four year road map.

:iagree:

And I'd also add that it's not difficult at ALL to find passages on your own. We used to use the workbooks but now I just find my own passages.

so then does the FLL also have a text and workbooks? Do you recommend both or will the workbooks suffice here as well...?

FLL 1/2 just has the main text, no workbooks. It's done orally for the most part.

FLL 3 and 4 have an optional workbook, and a required TE. Most people highly recommend getting the workbook too, but if you're used to FLL's style it's not a necessity IMO. You wouldn't be able to do it without the TE though.